1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end work

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ironman_bmfc, Jun 17, 2003.

1. ironman_bmfc

ironman_bmfc Junior Member

I got the front end on my 87 2500 checked and was told I needed a new steering gear, new shocks, new dampner, breaks, calipers, rotars and an alignment. He wanted $1400 to do it. The dampner, and shocks are replaced with a lift kit so I am gonna wait on that. The breaks, rotars, and calipers i can do myself ... unless there is something goofy about them I don't know about. The problem is I have never done a steering gear before. What all is involved and is there anything else that should be replaced at the same time? He wanted 350 just for the steering gear and hate to pay someone to do somethng I can do myself. If any one has any ideas or sugestions I would sure appreciate them.
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Look for a used steering gear. The rebuilt ones don't last. I paid about $300 for a rebuilt one, and it leaked in 2 years. I put a used one on, and it has been fine for 4 years. Go figure.

It is a PIA to get at the bolts holding it on without a lift, but it is not too bad. I would check and or replace the drag link too, as I suspect it would be worn with everything else that is shot. I would also question if the steering gear really needs to be replaced or not. How much free play is there in the steering? Is the gear leaking?

You will need to remove the Pitman arm, and install it on the new steering gear. It is easier with a puller, but there are other ways to get it off.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Take your heart pills with you when you go to get the rotors. If they are like the ones on my 3500, dig deep!!!payup :dizzy:
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The rotors for the 3/4 tons (10 bolt) are much cheaper than the larger 1 ton rotors.

Another option,when shopping for parts,is to look into second line parts.They are usually the same parts,just in a white box,instead of the fancy looking boxes of the first line stuff.Usually less than half the price.It may save you a few dollars on the job.

You will need a special wheel bearing nut socket to get the rotors off.You can usually buy\rent\borrow them from the local parts house.

The steering gear is isn't real difficult,like Chuck said,you will need to get the pitman arm off,which requires a puller.Shop around on rebuilt units,as quality varies.Find on from a reputable rebuilder,that has a good warranty.You may want to look a replacing the PS lines as well,as they tend to break coming out ofthe box.