1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front End weight Capacity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hookem_9, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Hookem_9

Hookem_9 Junior Member

Wondering what the front end Capacity is for an 03 Silverado 2500HD Xcab Shtbox 4x4...? how much plow can you put on it?
    Thanks,

Hookem

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Should be right on the door sticker under FAWR.Should be 4800 lbs I think.

You should be able to run an 8ft blade no problem.Add a set of Timbrens to help out the front end.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

If you don't have the Duramax, you might be able to get an 8.5' MVP on that truck w/out any weight problems.

4. Hookem_9

Hookem_9 Junior Member

Thanks Guys,
    I'll take a look at the inside of the door, looking at a blizzard w/ the wing/scoops.

Thanks again.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Talk to Jerre Heyer.He would have the lowdown on what is available to put on your truck.PM or e-mail him,or I'm sure he'll be along soon.

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Your truck can handle 8ft or 8.5ft just fine. I recommend you use 8ft:)

7. Santo

Santo Banned

8.5 Foot Plow/

8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck front end should have front GFWR of #4800. If you are going to be getting a Blizzard 810, then I would suggest that you get a set of Timbren to help with reducing front end sag. As long as it have gas engine, you should be fine. With a Duramax diesel, that would be another story since the weight of diesel will greatly limit the front end capacity for the plow.

9. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Do they still put a set of helper leafs up front to help compensate for the diesel. my 89 dodge/cummins has an extra set of springs to compensate for the xtra weight. They help a lot. I can't find a plow that sags the front of that truck.

10. wxmn6

No, GM do not use leaf springs in front on their trucks. They have IFS system with torsion bars. No leaf springs or coils in front. Only leaf springs in the rear.

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

But to answer that question, someone once told me that there are different classes of torsion bars, not just 1500, 2500, and 3500. I cannot tell you for sure, as my dealer was not willing to do any looking in the computer without giving him a VIN, so I haven't been able to veryfiy that.

The front axle and suspension components (i.e. ball joints) are primarily the limiting factor of the IFS setup.

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If your truck has a FAWR of 4800, you'll need to find a scale, usually at bulk materials yards, and weigh in. Make sure you have whatever ballast or spreader you'd typically be carrying for plowing on the truck. Rest your front axle only on the scale, subtract this number from 4800, what's left is the maximum weight of the plow you can carry by manufacturers specs.

13. Hookem_9

Hookem_9 Junior Member

Wow thanks for all the help, it's a 6.0 litre gas so I could get away with a liitle more. yep, 4800lbs, have to subtract what the front end weights now. right? anyone put thier trucks on the scale?

Thanks,

:)

14. wxmn6

Just remember that the plow will be sticking out about four feet out in front, so it will become more heavier on front end than its total weight. I do not know the forumula to do this math... but most plow manufacturers already did the math for you.... they will tell you which plow is recommended for a specific truck setup.

As for you vehicle, it is the same truck setup as I have, except that mine is '02. I just got a new 8' Fisher installed on my Chevy and it looks like a great truck/plow combo setup. :D Since I am experienced with Fisher plows, I cannot comment much on the other manufacturers. I do know that Fisher do recommend a plow ranging from 7.5' RD up through 9' HD, and both 8.5' and 9.5' V plow for your truck. The most popular setup for a truck like our is 8' HD blade, which is what I would recommend. I would image that other manufacturers would have similar recommendation with their blade size. I am not sure but I believe that you could get a Blizzard 810 installed on your truck. If that is what you are looking at, then just go for it! Jerre should be able to help you with that.

Let us know how it went. :)

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Stephen thats the torque or moment that would be excerted on the front end and plow undercarriage. T= r x F where r is the distance from the pivot point to any point on the line of action of the force. It is also known as F*d, Force (which would be the 800# of the plow) multiplied by the distance from the center of mass of the plow to the support point. If my calculations are correct, that moment would be about 2000lb-ft.

In this regard, I don't know what the front ends are capable of holding, but that shouldn't be any big deal for the 2500HD.

Nice truck by the way, the green and yellow look good together, like John Deere!

16. wxmn6

Thanks - I also happen to be a John Deere guy so its a pretty good color setup I guess. :D I will be posting some pictures of my truck project when I have time to work on it & hopefully finish it before the BBQ. Maybe I will start a thread soon and post the pics as I progresses with my project. ;)

17. I have a 03 2500 hd.... im putting the 8' artic on it on tuesday.
    The one thing i have heard many times, is to crank up the torsion bar tension 5 to 8 turns with the plow on for the wintern , then put it back in the spring.
    I dont have any timbrens, but ill see how it sits on tuesday and let you know....
    oh ya, mine had the snow prep ,which is heavier torsion bar, does yours have the snow prep
    mike

18. wxmn6

Yes, I do have the snowplow prep package. :)

19. I have a write up from the internet about gm's plow prep package. It says heavier torsion bar in front end .
    As for max. weight, I think you need too look at the tag on the door. But I wouldnt be concerned about a plow on that truck.
    Should be able too take lots of weight, after all its a chevy.

Im getting mine on tuesday, artic 8' , Ill see if it sags very much with the added weight and post a reply here.

mike:drinkup:

20. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS: Heres a link with tons of info , pics, wiring,
    torsion bar specs, for 99 & up VYU GM plow prep.
    pkg...........

Print it out just in case:

https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/html/publicat/bull/bull27.pdf

BTW: I have my torsion bar adj. nuts punchmarked along
    with reference marks on the frame. I just turn them up
    in the winter and lower them back down in the summer.

So far so good NO uneven tire wear or busted parts...geo