1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end wear

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Jason762, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Jason762

Jason762 Junior Member
    from CT

I'm interested in a 29 or a 29T for my 2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins. I am concerned with being as easy on my front end as possible, as Dodge's don't have notoriously strong front ends and the Cummins adds quite a bit of weight already. Is it better to go with a trip edge or no trip edge for longer front end life. I'll be doing all residential driveways. While I'm at it anyone have experience with Sno-way dealers in the CT area, good ones, bad ones, etc.?

2. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

When I bought my SnoWay, my dealer showed me both the 29 and the 29T and I really liked the 29T but he said if I was doing mostly paved drives the 29 would be my best bet. If on the other hand I was doing a lot of dirt/gravel drives (which I don't and won't) the 29 T should be my choice. That was the only difference in recommendations from my dealer. I wouldn't think the weight differences would make much of a difference to your truck's front end as long as you used the correct ballast behind the axle...

3. Jason762

Jason762 Junior Member
    from CT

In addition to the weight issue my main concern is the shock load/stress the trip edge return action would place on the front end.

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

All straight plow commercial models whether full blade trip or trip edge are equipped with our shock killer system. These are replaceable urethane pads that will help to absorb the shock load of the edge springing back into it's upright position.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I carry a 9 foot SS 32 series straight edge or a 9'1" Vee on a 05 Ram with a 5.7 liter Hemi. I have LOTS of customers pushing 8'6" 32 series with 250 Extend cab diesels. nobody's complaining about excessive front end wear.
    SW 8'6" Poly full trip just a little better then 650lbs Meyer C-8 800+ lbs

IMO unless you jump curbs or do a lot of gravel/dirt go with a full edge trip, again JMO

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Wish mine had the shock killer system. It really slams back good. I've always wondered why snoway doesn't start building their plows with some type of real shock like some of the Westerns have. I want to fab something up for my plow but I'm worried about all the weight I've already added.

7. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Tom...are you sure about that?? My 29 full trip has just springs with no urethane pads that I know of...I recall seeing them on the trip edge 29T and was expecting them when I took delivery of my 29 but nope..no shock killers that I can see...clarify please...!

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

They are located between the blade frame and the swing frame where the blade attaches. Your dealer should have installed them when they assembled the plow. On the 29T model they are more visable due to being located on the springs.

9. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Oh...okay...just located in a different spot...I'll look for 'em :salute: