1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end upgrade for 86

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by welj31, Jan 29, 2009.

1. welj31

welj31 Member

Now for the front end of my 86 3/4 ton sub any front end upgrades ??
    Keeping in mind the diesel upgrade comming
    I think if I use a locker on front it will be a air locker so i can turn off but what about front axle ? can anyone ID it? and is there a better set up/ thanks
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Your sub has a 10 bolt axle. Similar to a Dana 44.
  3. Kunker

Kunker Member

Dana 60 is what you want if you're going diesel down the road. Good luck finding one though.
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Dana 60 from a 70s era Ford.

Personally I'd like to build a truck like that but put in an IFS frontend like my 97 has.
  5. Detroitdan

btw, what's the diesel upgrade you mentioned?
  6. welj31

welj31 Member

12v cum or what ever I can find in that range
  7. Detroitdan

Cool, I've been wanting a 3/4 Suburban, but one of the issues is finding one with enough motor to pull my camper. 350 isn't big enough, 454 is a gas hog, 6.2s are dogs, and the 6.5 turbo wasn't available until 93 (I think), and they are really hard to find.

Love the 80s bodystyle, if I had the wherewithal I'd love to build one with a modern diesel for power.

Good luck with your endeavor.Take lots of pictures of the build.
  8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I saw recently on Ebay, there was an 80's Chevy 4x4 that had a cummins in it.

It might still be on there, I dont think it was that long ago and if it didnt sell it will probebly be relisted again sometime.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You could have a Corporate 10bolt or a Dana 44 both were available in 3/4ton pickups I've had both. For an upgrade find yourself a Dana 60 they are more available than you've been told it just depends how much you want to spend. You could have one in a few days if needed, if you are trying to find one on craigslist it might take a few weeks. It's easier to get one out of a Chevy rather than changing one over to fit.
  10. Detroitdan

You're right, my bad. Lost my head somehow. Was thinking about the newer trucks, forgot we were talking about an 80s truck. The 90s stuff needs a Ford 60 for lining up the pumpkin to the t-case. For 80s it's a direct fit because they were still available in the front of the 1 tons.