1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end sway while towing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hosenfeffer, Jul 28, 2015.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

02 GMC 2500HD Just had a drivers side tire wear out on inside half while on a long tow with no steering issues. Replaced both front tires and had alignment done and front end checked out fine. Alignment supposedly in spec. Tires at factory size and PSI. I hit 55 plus and correct steering with any amount of turning other than maintaining lane and front end is swaying like front tires on ice. I used to race bikes and a little wobble is just fun but this is SCARY. No visible sway in rear and minimal on trailer. Tongue weight in range and tires on trailer etc all good. No obvious loose or damaged parts. I get this on 3 different trailers
  2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

It sure sounds like you're light on the tongue. Have you actually weighed it? You need 10-15% of the actual trailer wt on the tongue to handle properly. The is a guide on the internet that explains exactly how to weigh the tongue. It's not as easy as you think.
  3. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

Same trailers as before. truck is funky with trailer empty or full just comes on quicker and at slower speeds with a load. My gas mileage went way up after alignment, huh. Just did one today with a 3/4 load capacity and it was not cool.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What is the tongue weight? what kind of hitch? weight distributing or weight carrying? spring or torsion axles?
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Swap the rears with the fronts and see what happens. That's an easy check.

Then what the others said.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

next time you have your trailer hooked up and loaded take a few pics from the side and post them so we can see whats going on a little better.