1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end suspension ford f350

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rmartin, Oct 24, 2003.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

I just fit an 8' mm2 fisher on my 2002 f350. The front end drops a little when the plow is attatched. Is it reccommended to upgrade the front end leaf springs? has anyone done that?

2. chayesf250

chayesf250 Junior Member

rmartin,

From what I've read from the sight, everyone suggests Timbrens. I just put them on my '02 F250. I'm having the same plow put on my truck this week. From what I hear, they do the job. Good luck.

3. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

tibrens

Installing tibrens will work? and is it a do it yourself project?

4. chayesf250

chayesf250 Junior Member

From what I hear, if you have the plow prep package also. I just did it in my driveway, took about an hour.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Timbrens are a cheap and easy to install upgrade.I would do those first.

If your still unhappy with the sag,then maybe look at upgrading the front springs to the "X" code springs

6. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

x-code springs/add a leaf

wouldn't it be easy to add an extra leaf on to the truck. There you would not have to worry about ever replacing it?

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

The X code spring are cheap,anddesigned for the truck.When you add a leaf you never know how stiff it will be or how much it will lift it.

Either way you go,you'll still want the Timbrens,so try them first.

Do a search on X code springs and Timbrens,lots of good info to read.

8. ciapek

ciapek Member

Do F- 350 with snow prep needs timbrens at all????

9. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

It all depends on the trucks configuration reg cab. long box, CC long box, SC short box, ect. and also the if the motor is a 5.4L, V-10 or PSD. Some times even if you have two truck with the same specs they will both carry the weight just a little different. With my 03 F-350 reg cab, long box, PSD I have the X springs. With the plow on the truck barely sags at all, drops it about 2". But my father has a 00 F-350 CC, long box, dually, PSD, with X-springs that he hangs a 10' Western off the front of. His truck sagged bad dropped it about 5 1/2", but he is also carrying alot more weight on the front end than me or alot of other people with F-350 do. On his truck we put air bags to raise it back up to level.

10. ciapek

ciapek Member

I've got 2003 F-350 reg. cab, long bed, it doesn't drop almost at all.

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

ciapek,your 7.5 Meyer is a lot lighter than an 8' fisher. Id go with the x springs if you want to eliminate the sag.Timbrens do not start to work until the truck has sagged some. I cant see that truck needing timbrens and X springs,unless it is a crew cab diesel.

12. ciapek

ciapek Member

That's what I toughed. Thanks.:drinkup:

13. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

fisher mm2 hd 8'

this plow weighs almost 800 lbs. That dont sound like much but it drops the front end a few inches. I just want to stiffen it upa little

14. John DiMartino

Go with X springs to stiffen it.My friend has them on his f250,and it helped a lot.

15. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

x springs

what are they and who makes them......can i put em on myself? how much

16. John DiMartino

You can get them at your Ford dealer,they are the stock springs for the F450/550.They are about 300 a set.Id see if they will give you shoip discount on them. One plowsite membergot them covered under warranty ,since there truck sagged so bad with a blade. I guess it depends on how good your working relationship is with your service manager. If you do a search on x springs, there is a lot of reading on them,they have been discussed her quite a bit.

17. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

shock help

would the addition of a heave duty shock help to?

18. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

if you have an excessive amount of movement over bumps, then stiffer shocks may help, but all they do is control the rate of motion in the suspension, not support any weight.

19. Santo

Santo Banned

I added 1 leaf on each front side in early August , And I got to say what a difference.

I got rid of the notorious stock ''nosedive'' look and alleviated the ''plowsquat'' all in one.

2 hr.job with airtools.
    I'm now looking for a decent steering stabilizer shock . Mine has a large dink in the tube and is also stock.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2003
  20. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I actually have both, X springs and Add-a-Leafs:eek:

My 900 lb. V drops the truck about an inch;)

Greg