1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end support on 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fga, Sep 8, 2004.

1. fga

fga Member

i'm going to be doing some light plowing this year with a 1990 GMC 1500. was wondering if anyone had any links for those airbags that help the front end, or any advice or ideas for my sitation. thanks.

2. fga

fga Member

also, i was considering exchanging the 7' plow for a 6'. is this uncommon for a full size pick up? was looking for ways to put less burden on the truck. would the frame on the blade be different between the 6' and 7'?
    sorry for so many questions at once, but I'm actually looking forward to the snow this year since i know the truck i'm buying runs excellent and the plow is new, and still has a warranty. last year i killed my battery a few times in the middle of some lots, and another time, the brakes totally went while i was plowing. i still did my work, i used the snow banks to stop me!!!

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

6 foot blade is not wide enough. I run a Blizzard 7'6"
    550 lbs. on a 91 chev. crank up torsion bars 5 turns and you will have no problems.

4. fga

fga Member

do you have the 1/2 ton chevy? or heavier duty? i heard from several that the 1500 might take a beating, the cv joints out front.

5. Bolts Indus.

Standard half ton. 140,000 miles,still puuuuring. Replaced one driver side cv.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the standard what should i do for my chevy reply is.....

1 Proper ballast in the bed behind the rear wheels secrured(when in doubt use about what the plow weighs - you can probably get by with much less)

2 A few cranks on the t bars to adjust your ride hight. Dont go over 1.5" of raise from factory hight, do a search on how to crank em, take weight off the bars when doing it too for heaven sake!

3 timbrens

I always laugh when people chime in about how weak chevy IFS is. Really cracks me up actually. 1/2 ton will be fine just dont over work it or stick it in a massive lot and expect it to shine. a 1/2 ton is good for smaller to medium sized stuff.

And the regular make sure you have a trany cooler and the rest of the truck is in good shape yada yada yada......

Bake at 375 for 1 hour and check for texture and an even golden brown crust. I take no responsibiltiy for the above info. Your milage may vary JMO

Good luck.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

put a set of timberns on and a 7.5 blade atleast

8. fga

fga Member

I didn't buy the truck yet, so i really don't know about the front suspension to much, just going by advice i'd heard, top be careful on the front end.
    thanks for the info guys.

9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

what are timberns. again im new to plowing, so please dont bash me for not knowing :)

10. fga

fga Member

i was going to ask the same thing buddy, but i looked it up so it wouldn't get rediculed. It appears to be the airbags i was looking for.

11. ratlover

from IL

They arnt air bags but they work like em. Chevy uses bump stops that actually are ment to work with the suspention, the bumpstops sit on the a frame and squish as you hit bumps and such to give the suspention an actual progressive spring basicly(progressive meaning the more you squash down on the suspention the harder it is to squash) Timbrens are hollow rubber thingys that replace the factory bump stops. You can use em on any truck really to increase the spring rate and even use em in the back but they seem to work the best in the front ends of chevys. My truck rides the same but it has a more progressive suspention than stock.

We wont bash or ridicule, ask anything :) Although some topics have been covered in depth and will yield all kindsa info instantly with a search. :nod:

Nate sells em IIRC, maybe do a search on the web for thier site and it will show you some pics and such that might make things a bit more clear. My descriptions suck at times :eek:

12. fga

fga Member

thanks again. i know i probaly could have searched, but with these new forum set ups, its easy fo r me to get frustrated and give up. so i ask the source directly :drinkup:

13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

14. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Are these Timberns also called load boosters made of hard rubber to reduce sagging when you add a snowplow?Something a little stronger you can use to replace the factory ones.

15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yes thats what its called

16. Bolts Indus.

On your half ton:

If you need timbrens or any other suspension beef up to handle the plow weight then

1- You have the wrong plow on it. ( Too heavy)
    2- Your truck is not set up properly. (Torsion bars, springs, ballast etc.)

That is why manufacturers make different sizes and weights, to suite each different vehicle. They don't do it just to be funny or create a market for products to compensate for the wrong plow on your truck.

You never hear complaints from the owner when things are done right with the right plow for his/her truck. Just from those who insist on putting a big plow on a little truck. That is why highway plow trucks are big trucks, not big plows with little trucks with suspension up grades. If you want a big plow get a big truck.

17. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thank You.....

18. ratlover

from IL

The plow I have is the largest recomended size by fisher and i have timbrens. Truck caryies the plow like a dream. I have the proper balast and the right hight on my bars.

Timbrens and a oversized plow is a bad idea but especially on a chevy they are cheap, they dont hurt and they help cary the plow better. On a chevy they are a good idea IMO. But I agree, not a bad aid for an oversized plow.

19. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

NEW GUYS..........Those 1/2 ton Gms will work fine with most 7.5 ft. plows.
    A fisher is a bit too heavy IMO for a 1/2 ton.
    I have had several GM 1/2s 88 and up and run a Western 7.6 with Turkey Wings. Ballast and a couple of cranks of the t-bars and its good to go ! Timbrens are a good idea but I never used them.

If your buying a used GM check the RPO list in the glove box for the VYU
    code. That is the plow prep pkg. with all the extra plow related goodies.
    OR if it has a factory tow hitch Z-85? code. That also will get ya the goodies also: Hd susp., beefier t-bars, trans. cooler, bigger radiator, etc..............

Don't be afraid of IFS....It has been field proven since 88............
    Just find ya a truck that hasn't been plowed for a good price and have it checked out carefully. Good luck !......geo :drinkup:

20. fga

fga Member

thanks for the reassurance. I can't wait for those flakes... i'm going to wind up plowing 1" storms out of anticipation :) Home Depot and all the dealers have all their blowers out already!