1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end/steering going crazy!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BossRam, Mar 24, 2004.

1. BossRam

BossRam Junior Member

Hey guys, when I have my plow off my truck, and hit a bump going 35+ mph my whole truck starts shaking like crazy, it continues to about 14 mph and then is fine. It feels like a rim is falling off or something. I told a local shop about it and they said steering stabilizer. I replaced the stock one and put in an aftermarket one as well. It was fine for about 300 miles then started doing the same thing again. Tie rod ends, drag link, sway bar??? anyone had this happen before? By the way, its a 94 3/4 ton with a cummins. Thanks alot!
    Aaron

2. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Somethings definently loose in the front end, jack the front end up, and move the tires back and forth in every way, if there's any play, then somethings wrong. Tie Rods, ball joints, or it could even be the front wheel bearings,...How many miles are on the truck?

3. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I just happened to think of something, depending on the miles, your front U-Joints may be going bad, how often is the 4 wheel drive used?

4. BossRam

BossRam Junior Member

Hey guys... I just talked to the dealership today and they said it was probably a track bar. I have 165000 miles on it. The ball joints are good, but i'm gonna do a little more checking out of the tie rod ends before I replace the $280 dollar track bar.

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

6. REED384

REED384 Senior Member

its the track bar i had same prob cost 480 bucks to replace

7. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

before the snow season started a i had the death wobble and i made life simple i replaced the whole front suspension...

8. 2003DodgeRam2500

2003DodgeRam2500 Junior Member

Sounds like the problem i had. It was the track bar. My local Dodge dealership had to get the track bar. I tried napa and they couldn't get the one i needed. Hope this helps a little.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yup- the death wobble. Moog bars are as bad as oem- try Lukes links.

10. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

i bought my track bar for 119( i belive) at advanced auto parts for my cummins and have put 15000 since with no problems.

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

it is unreliable to guess how long they last- as I said my original one lasted to 100K+ but I know of people who replaced them every 6 months.

Look at some of the Dodge truck dedicated boards like Dodgeram.org, dirt, NeDirt, TDR, etc for more information.
    It is great that this forum is here but the problem with it is the vast majority of the people who know are not here. Some of us know and many of us think they know- this is a snow plow board with a minor in truck discussion. If you want good answers and help ask at a Dodge Truck board- know what I mean?

(I do not intend to offend or insult others- but that simply is a matter of fact on any board- the majority of users know the main subject but less and less about the others. after all we're here about plowing and anything else is secondary)