1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end squating problems.

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by GMSNOW, Dec 4, 2008.

GMSNOW Member

I just bought a new '08 dodge 3/4 ton diesel with a new 810 blizzard plow. Just used it for the 1st time yesterday and I find that when I go to push snow up and over a curb I am scraping alot. I asked the blizzard dealer and they recomended to put in a spacer in the front springs giving me a 2" - 2 1/4" front end lift.

I am concerned what happens when in the summer I hook on my 16' enclosed trailer with 2-3 mowers in it? Will my front end be sticking up in the air?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions?

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Try this link...In the upper left side.. Add your truck information and it will recommend the best kit.
    Air is the way to go.. In the off season you can just lower the pressures. if you add rears you can increase in the summer for the trailer load.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

set of timbrens and 600lbs on the far back end. Just an FYI the blizzard power hitch hangs down super low so you need the weight in the back of the truck.

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Thats why I always plow with a 2400# skid of salt in the back up against the cab, softens the ride, levels the truck, and creates massive quanities of traction and drive to match what the Cummins weight and power gives in the front....unstoppable in snow. It is a 3500 though with a single rear wheel pkg.
  5. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Timbrens on front end......my mechanic is installing them right now as I type this. I also have a set on the rear end to stabilize my Vbox load of salt. I have timbrens on all of our plow / salt trucks...very pleased with them.
  6. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Timbrens....I have a 2500 -07 Dodge Crew Cab with the 8' Hiniker Plow....I'll try to get pics later if you want....I just had them installed...I was having the same issue....
  7. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

I have the same set up and I ended up doing the leveling kit in the front and the HD airlift air bags in the rear with built in compressor in cab. If you tow a lot the airbags are a crucial addition if you ask me. They will completely elliminate sag in the rear and being adjustable from 5psi tpo 100psi they will satisfy any load you can throw at them up to 5000 pounds in your bed. I would do this over the timbrens and ballast, especially because you are towing.
  8. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Thats because legally you are'nt suppose to have a Blizzard plow on an 08 Dodge diesel. You excede the front GAWR of the truck. The diesel is 900 lbs heavier than the gas engine, then add a 900 lb. plow. Hopefully your Dodge dealer won't give you any static on warranty work. Just be carefull, all the weight on the front of your truck changes the center of gravity and effects braking.
  9. deadogwalkin

deadogwalkin Member

GMSNOW, I think your getting the idea about the need to increase your suspension. I did the same as all the above are suggesting, but I would really recommend the balast idea. We use salt sand and it makes a world of difference. Good luck.

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

I wondered why I didn't see an application for 08 Dodge in the book. What is the deal? I have1998-2006 2500 and 3500 quad cab trucks with 8-9 ft plows and 5-6 thousand #'s of salt in the bed that don't even know their loaded. Right on down the road they go. Why all the trouble with 08 stuff?
  11. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Part of it is Douglas Dynamics fault. They don't want the laibility because the Blizzard sits further away from the front of the truck than most plows, thus changing the center of gravity and braking characteristics. When Blizzard was family owned, the crash test standards were also different, if I am correct.