1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end shake

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gmgbo, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

HI, I have a 1985 chevy 1 ton dump 4wd, 350. About half way through second gear the front end begins to shake the whole truck, including the body, shifter, and steering wheel. You have to stop to make it go away but now it does it constantly so the truck is not drivable. I have put on a new steering stabilizer, got the tires balanced, and changed the draglink and pitman arm (?).

What else can it be? Everything in the front feels tight.
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

u joint????

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Had exact same thing happen on my 88' babydump. Wheel bearings!:nod:
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Seen this many many time's on the Dana 60's, and 9 time's out of 10 it's the king pins that cause the dreaded "death wobble"..
    Guys change drag link, tie-rods and steering stabilizers but never think to consider the king pins as the culprit.
  5. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

everything in the front feels tight, how can I check to see if the pins are bad?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Get the tires off the ground and use a long bar placed between the tire and the ground and pry up on the tire to see if the king pins have any up and down play in them (they usually don't). Next place the bar between the axle housing and the steering knuckle and pry in and out while a helper watches for any movement. Do this at the top and bottom of the knuckle where the king pins are located. It's not at all uncommon to find play in the lower pin especially, which will cause the death wobble for sure.