1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end sags...help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mikemac, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

my front end on my 99 silverado with my MM2 sags quite a bit. i don't have a plow prep package which could be a big reason. how do you crank the torsion bar up? is it an effective way to gain an inch or two?
  2. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Get a set of timbrens first before you mess with the torsion bars. If they are not set the same you will experience tire wear problems ect.
  3. SnowUnlimited

SnowUnlimited Junior Member

When I plowed with a 93 full size Blazer I cranked up the torsion bars got about 2" more height.What I did was just count the number of flats that I turned on ech adjustment bolt.Have to have the front end off the tires to do it right.When I was done to it to front end shop and they only had to make small adjustments.Also ran about 500 lbs. balast in rear
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

remember you also need an alignment after cranking the torsion bars.

Plow prep might be an issue, but only in that the truck's factory torsion settings may be soften without prep.
  5. genrock

genrock Member

Timbrens! or Airbag system get either one before you go messing around with the ride of your truck. When that plows off then what? www.timbren.com or call them 1 800 263-3113 I am sure this isnt the only place that sells them but it is where I got mine. Your local auto parts store or truck shop might have them just as well. Easy bracketry and quick install that is if you have a little muscle or some air tools.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  6. TEX

TEX Senior Member

its much easier to crank those bars if the front end is lifted up(weight off of the suspension) a simple shop jack and stands will do. next make a mark from the center of the torsion bolt outwards and onto the part the bolt passes threw. now when you trun the torsion bar bolts just count the rotations so that you can do the same number on the other side. and yes you will need an alignment
  7. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

cranking up the torsion bar will make your ride quaility a little worse...simple solution, buy a FORD :) :)
  8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

A cranked Chevy still rides ten times better than a Ford, and even with the increased wear you won't change balljoints as often.