Snow Plowing Forum banner

Front end sagging

22K views 94 replies 30 participants last post by  ta3834bbl 
#1 ·
I've done a search for this topic and haven't really gotten a good answer. So hear it is, I've got a 2002 2500 ram (old body style) without the plow prep package (it's got the towing setup on it). I just recently got done putting a 7.5 western pro on it and the truck sags alot more than I thought it would. I looked at timberens and they look to be a good product, but I have heard that when the plow isn't on the truck they make it ride rougher than normal? So I started looking around for some other ideas, so now it's either timberens, air shocks, or these orange bags that fit between the coil spring and the shock, or just leaving it alone.... So i need some input! Which will work better? and be less of a hassle? Any help would be great! THANKS!

LET IT SNOW!!

#77 ·
glenspot said:
So, I installed 1-ton springs on the front of my dodge 1500.. It got some nice lift and it carries the plow GREAT.

But now the back-end looks low. Its not lower than it was before...just that now the front end is up a little...the back end looks funny.

Whats the easy and/or best fix? another leaf in the spring? I dunno.

Glen
GLENSPOT, you can install add a leaf(AAL). Or get larger blocks.

#78 ·
i have timbrens on all 4 tires! do they help ? hell yeah! however you could add a leaf in the rear and in the front upgrade to different tighter coils up front. personaly i wish i had put different coils on rather than timberns. they do help but not as much as i wanted. Also if your going to put them on do not have a shope do it! it is simple as long as you can get the truck hoisted you will be good to go! it is a waiste of mney to pay a shop to do the work

#79 · (Edited)
First, if you bought a 1500 you got a car with a truck body.......
having said, that hears why.
1500 are not plow trucks or work trucks there look cool boulevard cruisers...any 1/2 ton for that matter. you need a 3/4 ton or larger to plow with IMO.
Do what ever you like with them. but the bottom line is there soft ride and lack of payload capability rules them out as plow trucks...
so, now you want to plow with your boulevard cruiser and keep the car like ride?
If you are going to plow with it any why, do your self a favor and get the new springs from the dealer #39 # 38 are the springs that come on the 3/4 ton with the plow-prep like on my 02 2500. On my 98 2500 I put the #46 #47 combo on it
the ride is firm not harsh it rides like a truck not like your moms van or your 1/2 ton boulevard cruiser.
To install the new springs is easy too.
1, unbolt the bottom of the front shocks & loosen the lug nuts.
2. raise Tuck off of the ground so the tires are in the air( about 6in) set it on jack stands ,supported by the frame, so the Axel can hang down.
3. remove front wheels.
4. disconnect the sway bar where it connects to the Axel.
5. the springs can be removed now, with (OUT) an spring compressor. mine came right out.
the new ones go right in there place. bolt every thing back and your done.
it took me about an 1, 1 1/2 hr to do it.

I know i pi$$ed off the 1/2 ton plowers but thats life:waving:
I have to stop my self from getting sucked in to these silly:nod: debates:D

#82 ·
A 1/2 ton will do just fine.

I took the Fisher gear off of a 3500 and put on a 1/2 ton. Looks like to me they have the same frame. I believe it's all in what you are using the truck for. A 2500 or more would be overkill for what plowing and hauliung I do in my line of work. I did however add a couple of 2" spacers and longer shocks to my front springs to level the truck out.

#83 ·
Snofarmer....... I think you are wrong about the 1500 qoute. There are a lot of people who buy 1500 short beds to do drives and small lots. its too hard to put long box 2500 and 3500 trucks in small spaces.

Any 1500 can be beefed up to do the same thing a 2500 can do.

Brian

#84 ·
Lawnboy67 said:
Snofarmer....... I think you are wrong about the 1500 qoute. There are a lot of people who buy 1500 short beds to do drives and small lots. its too hard to put long box 2500 and 3500 trucks in small spaces.
Any 1500 can be beefed up to do the same thing a 2500 can do.
Brian
I see more short box 2500 Dodges than I do long boxes, and I have one of each(long & short). There are short box 3500 sw too. I think the reason why people use a 1500, is that there cheaper and people think because it's a 4+4 and a truck it's good to plow with.

The money to really make a 1500 onto a 2500 would be better spent on a 2500 to begin with. There 7500# 2500 and there 8500# 2500 trucks to choose from, the 8500# is a better choice.

#85 · (Edited)
It's nice to see we can keep a thread alive this long!!:dizzy:
It was started on 9-15-03, it must be the oldest thread still alive??

#86 ·
Bump, There seams to be a need for this knowledge..

#87 ·
Does anyone know if I can upgrade my springs? It's an 03 ram quad 2500 with a cummins. It sits lower in the front with no plow as it is. I am adding a Meyre c-8 setup. (Actually I posted earlier, but this thread seemed to be right up the alley of my question.) I just ordered a 2inch leveling kit for the front.

#88 ·
You all ready have the stiffest springs. Yours may be tired and in need of replacement. Some new ones, or you can get the spacers mentioned.
hope this helps:waving:

#90 ·
NoNeck said:
OK, thanks.
A leveling Kit - consists of spacers-:waving:
Your Welcome...

#92 ·
Bump, some one asked :waving:

#93 ·
This thread is still alive, again!

I just picked up my new 46-47 springs from the dealer today and will be replacing my 38-39 combo this evening. I will take pics of before and after. I think my truck sits way too low on the front end, as my bump stops are only 2" off the axle and it bottoms out all the time on small bumps without the plow. I am concerned that the a-frame on the plow won't be level anymore, but that can be fixed. I may be selling the 38-39 springs soon, depending on the ride stiffness in the new springs.
Oh, the springs were 118 for the 46 and 128 for the 47 with a 3 day delivery to the dealership.

#94 ·
If you do not have the camper package a set of timbrens for the rear is a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.