Snow Plowing Forum banner

Front end sagging

22K views 94 replies 30 participants last post by  ta3834bbl 
#1 ·
I've done a search for this topic and haven't really gotten a good answer. So hear it is, I've got a 2002 2500 ram (old body style) without the plow prep package (it's got the towing setup on it). I just recently got done putting a 7.5 western pro on it and the truck sags alot more than I thought it would. I looked at timberens and they look to be a good product, but I have heard that when the plow isn't on the truck they make it ride rougher than normal? So I started looking around for some other ideas, so now it's either timberens, air shocks, or these orange bags that fit between the coil spring and the shock, or just leaving it alone.... So i need some input! Which will work better? and be less of a hassle? Any help would be great! THANKS!

LET IT SNOW!!

#52 ·
Do you have the Cummins? If you don't, I would think that you could do the 38/39 combo. It sounds like you don't like a stiff ride, and the timbrens will help. I am going to do some specs on mine, you can find out what they are just by measuring, but the ones that I took off of mine I think are 38/39. They came off a 94 3/4 ton with a Cummins, and plow prep. If you are interested, email or pm me, and we can talk something up, if you want to try them and think you want something stiffer, you could just send them back. However, if you do have the Cummins, I would say go with the 47/48 or 46/47 combo. Good Luck:salute:

#54 ·
I think that the 38/39 combo would be all right. The 318 weighs quite a bit less than my Cummins. With your plow weight, it wouldn't hurt to jump up to a 39/46 combo, it depends on how important the ride is. There shouldn't be much of a difference between the 38/39 and the 39/46, as Wyldman stated, it never hurts to have too much spring. I guess, if it was me, the truck is going to ride like a truck anyways, I'd get the 39/46.

#55 ·
Alright, I am bringing this one back alive. I bought a set of springs off ebay this week and they arrived today. They are off a 94 diesel 4X4, the guy said he didn't have the truck anymore but it was the "heavier" front end model. One of the tags is gone off the springs and the other one is an 038. Great I am ready to install, but wait, I have a 1999 2500 5.9 Gasser 4X4 and the inside of my door says I have the 4850 front end. According to JD's (no disrespect meant with the abbreviation) chart, I probably have the 038 and 039 springs on my truck now (both stickers missing). Where does this leave me? I only paid $70 for the springs and shipping so I am not worried about the money, I just do not want to waste my time swapping the same springs in. Is it possible that Dodge would put the same springs in a diesel and a gas? My front end sags pretty good with my C-8 on there and I need to upgrade, calling a dealer and getting the 47/48 combo is an option but I would like to figure out what I have first. Please help.

#58 ·
Just wondering what all the hubub is about front end sag?

Are there any negatives about it?

You hang 700-1000 lbs of plow on a front end, its going to sag. Unless it poses a problem with the truck or plows operation, I leave it be.

#59 ·
I always questioned the front end suspension on my Ram, it has always seemed a little soft up front, sometimes it will bottom out going over a speed bump. So when I saw this tread I could relate to it, and I never knew I could upgrade my springs, no hubub, I was just listening and learning. I just wanted to upgrade them and see how differently it handled, that is all, didn't mean to bother anyone.

Dan

#60 ·
Front axle weight rating isn't the spring rating. If you have the 360 gasser, It doesn't have the 38/39 combo. That is what comes for the diesel engines. I think if you put the 38/39 combo you got in, you will be very satisfied. That is what I had in my truck (94 3/4 T w/ Cummins), and with the 1000 lb. Blizzard, it dropped about 2.5 -3 inches. You don't want your front end bouncing off of your bump stops all the time. Especially when stacking. You have the weight of the plow AND the weight of the snow on the blade, which puts a lot of strain on your front end. not to mention the softer springs will wear out a lot quicker. If you go new, make sure and go OEM, aftermarket springs are not up to the same specs of the Dodge ones.

#62 ·
Here's what I did. I installed a set of Skyjacker D25 2" leveling springs on my 97 Dodge extra cab, long bed, Cummins diesel.
Easy to install, about the same money as timbrens, and the truck feels so much better to drive with or without the plow on.
Here is a pic of the truck with the 8' plow raised off the ground, no weight in the back of the truck.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car

#63 ·
Nice MSC! I plan on installing a 2" leveling kit in mine, which will have about the same effect as your 2.5 " springs on. When i think back on it, I think I probably would have rather gone with the D25's, but oh well. I plan on adding a 2" add a leaf in the rear, for 2" all around. Does your truck sit nose-up with out the plow on? Looks good.

#64 ·
It did, just about 1" higher in the front without the plow on.
I also installed Airlift Super Duty air bags in the rear, this leveled the truck right out.
I usually run about 10-15psi in the bags.
This really improved the ride. Before the bags, the rear suspension was always slapping the helper springs due to the
wonderful condition of our construction riddled roads(major sewer project going on across 2 towns), Also the bags are great for towing the skidsteer and the mini excavator.

#65 ·
Did you install longer shocks? That is what is holding me back, I can't really afford the shocks right now. If you didn't, have you topped out yet?

#66 · (Edited)
Still have factory length shocks on all 4 corners of the truck.
They have never topped out.
I don't do any off roading other than the job sites I have to get in and out of, never had a problem.
I would look into the air bags if I were you.
If you do any heavy towing, they are a godsend.
The bags I bought are Airlift Super Duty bags.
They have a 5000# capacity per pair.
I usually run about 10-15psi in them.
They will take 100psi.
I imagine the pressure goes up some when loaded.
Next time I hook to the trailer and put the PC-40 on the trailer I will check the pressure in the bags to see how much they increase when loaded.
Maybe even take some pics with the machine on the trailer too!
Rich

#69 ·
tire wear?

I will be putting 1-ton diesel springs on my dodge 1500 before the winter. I was warned that leaving them on during hte summer would cause tire wear. Any logic to this?

#70 ·
Installed new springs

I installed a set if 47-46 springs on my 98 3/4 Dodge with a boss v, gained 2 1/2 inches of lift and it holds up the plow frame high enough to get over the curbs to push back the piles with out scraping the curb or plow frame.
I also have a set of 38-39's on my 01 3/4 Dodge with a 8ft straight blade they work fine for the light straight blade, but if your going to change your springs go with some thing close to the 47-46 set up, I installed mine by my self in about 1 1/2 hour, it was easer than I thought it would be. I would recommend this set up to any one serious about plowing...

#72 ·
Why do you people use timbering's?? there just covering up a bigger problem ( kind of like a band aid)? What I mean is if your truck is sagging or can't handle the weight of your plow you need stiffer springs!!! A timbering is just a big bump stop...... If your frame is resting on your axle bump stops you don't have any suspension travel left, so why would timbering's help there just big bump stops. I guess my point is' if your axle is against the stop and you hit a bump and your axle can't move some thing is going to give, then you woun't have to worry about your timbering's any more.. so put in heaver springs to handle the load ,it's very easy to do ,if you can change a tire you can put in new springs..

#73 ·
now the back end looks low

So, I installed 1-ton springs on the front of my dodge 1500.. It got some nice lift and it carries the plow GREAT.

But now the back-end looks low. Its not lower than it was before...just that now the front end is up a little...the back end looks funny.

Whats the easy and/or best fix? another leaf in the spring? I dunno.

Glen

#74 · (Edited)
1fast4+4,, Here is the thread I was talking about..

#75 ·
Timbrens are load handlers. They don't increase payload. They help because they decrease the rebound (boat) effect of hitting bumps with a plow out in front. I'm not saying that they make a truck super tough, but they do help a lot. A half ton truck is not made for plowing commercial accounts. They work fine for res., but I would never use one for large commercial accounts.

#76 ·
GMC99 said:
I've done a search for this topic and haven't really gotten a good answer. So hear it is, I've got a 2002 2500 ram (old body style) without the plow prep package (it's got the towing setup on it). I just recently got done putting a 7.5 western pro on it and the truck sags alot more than I thought it would. I looked at timberens and they look to be a good product, but I have heard that when the plow isn't on the truck they make it ride rougher than normal? So I started looking around for some other ideas, so now it's either timberens, air shocks, or these orange bags that fit between the coil spring and the shock, or just leaving it alone.... So i need some input! Which will work better? and be less of a hassle? Any help would be great! THANKS!

LET IT SNOW!!
I put the Timbrens on my 2005 2500hd. There is an improvement and, in my opinion, they give the truck a slightly stiffer ride. I see this as a positive because the newer truck suspensions bounce around too much anyway. I like them and for the money you cant lose. Definitely do the Timbrens instead of the other headaches.
gino

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.