Snow Plowing Forum banner

Front end sagging

22K views 94 replies 30 participants last post by  ta3834bbl 
#1 ·
I've done a search for this topic and haven't really gotten a good answer. So hear it is, I've got a 2002 2500 ram (old body style) without the plow prep package (it's got the towing setup on it). I just recently got done putting a 7.5 western pro on it and the truck sags alot more than I thought it would. I looked at timberens and they look to be a good product, but I have heard that when the plow isn't on the truck they make it ride rougher than normal? So I started looking around for some other ideas, so now it's either timberens, air shocks, or these orange bags that fit between the coil spring and the shock, or just leaving it alone.... So i need some input! Which will work better? and be less of a hassle? Any help would be great! THANKS!

LET IT SNOW!!

#27 ·
Yea

Yea, I have 3 ram 1500's
one is lifted 7.5 inches and the other two are lifted 5.5 inches, They plow like champs. This will be my first year with the 1500 Extended cab. Spicer makes a heavy duty U-Joint that will hold up to the driveshaft pitch. I have 4.56's with Eaton L/S's in the rear on 35 inch tires. And they push fine

#29 ·
I'm based out of Farmington Hills

I work out of farmington hills, I love your website, I do lawns, some landscaping and brick work, nothing too heavy. and a load of snow removal. I have an 03 F350 Quad Cab Longbed with a v-box powerstroke and 8 1/2 ft western. Lifted 8 inches. What kind of truck are you talking about?
And no, The frame isn't too stressed, I hopped a curb at the nextel building off 12 mile and 696 plowing with the ram thats 7.5 inches up. going 40 mph I tripped the plow and it kept going. In summer I run 39 1/2's and in winter I run 35 inch MTR's
feel free to call Mike 248-939-1061

#33 ·
I know there has been some recent discussions about heavier springs on here, and I have a set of 47/48 coming in from dodge on friday. If anyone is interested, I'll take pics of the install for them. Just PM or email me.

#34 ·
GriffithTLC, I'm interested in your spring swap and your reaction to it. I have the same 94 Cummins with an 8' Western Pro. (just bought it from a neighbor and haven't used it yet) I had the plow on once and lfted it up and was surprised athow much it squats in front. I also have a Ranch Hand replacement bumper w/grill guard that adds some weight too.

#36 ·
New Springs

I got the springs in tonight. I must say that I am 110% pleased with them. The install wasn't bad, would have been a lot easier if I had just unbolted the sway bar :rolleyes: It took me 2 hours, but that includes about 20 minutes wrenching on my homemade spring compressors. The truck sits 1" higher unloaded, and with the 1000 lb. Blizzard on, it only drops 3/4 to 1". The change in ride isn't really noticable, but with the plow on, the back end shudders without weight, but ballast will take care of that. Here are the 2 new springs with an old one, the 48 is on the left, old (39, but not sure) in the middle, and 47 on the right. Quite a difference!

Glasses Automotive tire Light Coil spring Audio equipment

#38 ·
Here is with the spring out. To get it out, all you had to do was take off the nut holding the upper part of the shock off, then take the 3 nuts off of the upper shock tower, that bolts to the upper coil mount.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

#39 ·
Here is the finished product. If anyone is interested in my old springs, they will be for sale in the used equipment forum. Great for a 1/2 ton with a blade on it.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

#40 ·
Nice work.I recommend that spring combo to a lot of people,and they think it's way to stiff,until they try it.It never hurts to have too much spring. :D

The OEM DC springs are very high quality too,and very consistent.They should last a long time without sagging.More than I can say about most aftermarket stuff.

#41 ·
Matt,I did mine a bit differently. I removed the lower shock bolts,and the antisway bar end links,this took all of 5 minutes a side,then raised the truck with a bumper jack from the plow frame,Tires come off,compressed the shocks upward by hand,pryed downward on the axle,slid the springs out(bottom out first,they slipped right out,with about a minutes worth of prying.Then reassemble.The entire job took under 45 minutes .I am running the 046/039,and I like it a lot,I had the 039/038.I have a new o47 I havent used yet,maybe if i get a Blizzard plow ill use it. I didnt need to compress the springs,they went right in with a little cussing:D .

#42 ·
This is a pretty good post for me, because I to have a 94 3/4 Cummings 4x4. I am wanting to put a 8.5 mvp plow on it. I was concerned about the weight. I'm not sure what springs I have, but I know the plow and mount weights close to 1000lbs. I do plan on putting timbrens on it. My other concern is that I have a 4500lb. rated front axle, and the western dealer did not recommend a plow on it. But a 4800lb. front axle he did recommend a mvp on it??? Can't see why 300lbs. would make that big of a difference? I'm going to put the plow on it any way.

#43 ·
You shouldn't have to worry. The Dodge frontends are dramatically underated. The Dana 60 is a super strong axle that won't give you trouble. I would definitely suggest the 47/48 combo, they don't really ride any rougher, and they hardly compress when the plow is lifted. We won't need to run timbrens, just because the springs keep the truck up.

#44 ·
Originally posted by MWS LAWN
This is a pretty good post for me, because I to have a 94 3/4 Cummings 4x4. I am wanting to put a 8.5 mvp plow on it. I was concerned about the weight. I'm not sure what springs I have, but I know the plow and mount weights close to 1000lbs. I do plan on putting timbrens on it. My other concern is that I have a 4500lb. rated front axle, and the western dealer did not recommend a plow on it. But a 4800lb. front axle he did recommend a mvp on it??? Can't see why 300lbs. would make that big of a difference? I'm going to put the plow on it any way.
You should have the 4850 front axle.The last year for the 4500 lb axle was in 93.94-95's had a LD 3800 lb axle,and the HD 4850,which came under the Cummins.

The axle is WAAY underated.It will carry an MVP no problem with a set of Timbrens and a spring upgrade to 047\048 springs from DC.

#45 ·
Wyldman, What is DC? A buddy of mine has a set of new timbrens that he did not put on. He said he would take 100.00 for them. Am I correct that the springs will cost me 300.00? Thanks for the info. wyldman. O, btw is 1420.00 tax included plus install good for the pro flo ( 950lb. cap.) with in bed mount and controls? Thanks.

#46 ·
MWS-DC is Daimler Chrysler. Just call your local Dodge dealer and ask them to quote some 47/48 springs. They might ask for your vin # and stuff. Tell them that you are replacing with non stock. MAKE SURE thay look at the part number, and that it ends in 47 and 48. They probably won't know what 47/48 combo is, so tell them to look at the part numbers-I had to walk the parts guy through ordering mine, so I made sure I got the right ones! My springs came to 275 with tax. Well worth it, though. Good Luck :salute:

#47 ·
Originally posted by MWS LAWN
Wyldman, What is DC? A buddy of mine has a set of new timbrens that he did not put on. He said he would take 100.00 for them. Am I correct that the springs will cost me 300.00? Thanks for the info. wyldman. O, btw is 1420.00 tax included plus install good for the pro flo ( 950lb. cap.) with in bed mount and controls? Thanks.
Like stated above,DC is short for Daimler Chrysler.$100.00 for the Timbrens is a good deal,I'd take it.The heavier springs seem to be in the $250.00 range for a pair.Can't comment on the price on the Pro-Flo,as I'm not to sure what they go for in your area.

#48 ·
Well, I ordered the 47/48 combo., price came to 250.00. What side does the 47 need to go on? Also put the deposit on my 8.5 mvp so they would not sell it until my springs come in. It sure is a big looking plow. I am taking you alls advice in believing my truck can handle it! I hope I'm not wasting 4500.00 on a plow my truck will not handle. About how much ballast should I run in the back of the truck?

#49 ·
Don't worry, as long as you don't drive like a madman, the truck will handle it great. Put the 47 on the passenger side, and the 48 on the driver. We are going to run 600 lbs. of ballast, if it doesn't do a whole lot, we will do more. You will notice right away the incredible difference that the springs make when the plow is raised. The nice thing is that they don't ride a whole lot stiffer when the plow isn't on. Good luck, and if you have any trouble getting the springs out, post or PM me, and I can help if Chris or John aren't around.

#50 ·
1994 Dodge

I Have a 94 Dodge 2500, and looked today for my front spring tag and founf that the only one left on was the driver side. It was a #021. The truck has a Meyer CP 8 on it. Plus timbrens, and weight in the back. When the plow is off, and the truck bed is emty the timbrens are just touching, making a harder ride.
I'd like to upgrade spings, but what is a good # to go to from this 021??? Oh and the weight of the plow is around 978 lbs.

#51 ·
1994 Dodge

I Have a 94 Dodge 2500, and looked today for my front spring tag and founf that the only one left on was the driver side. It was a #021. The truck has a Meyer CP 8 on it. Plus timbrens, and weight in the back. When the plow is off, and the truck bed is emty the timbrens are just touching, making a harder ride.
I'd like to upgrade spings, but what is a good # to go to from this 021??? Oh and the weight of the plow is around 978 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.