Snow Plowing Forum banner

Front end sagging

22K views 94 replies 30 participants last post by  ta3834bbl 
#1 ·
I've done a search for this topic and haven't really gotten a good answer. So hear it is, I've got a 2002 2500 ram (old body style) without the plow prep package (it's got the towing setup on it). I just recently got done putting a 7.5 western pro on it and the truck sags alot more than I thought it would. I looked at timberens and they look to be a good product, but I have heard that when the plow isn't on the truck they make it ride rougher than normal? So I started looking around for some other ideas, so now it's either timberens, air shocks, or these orange bags that fit between the coil spring and the shock, or just leaving it alone.... So i need some input! Which will work better? and be less of a hassle? Any help would be great! THANKS!

LET IT SNOW!!

#2 ·
You could grab a set of the good old Balloons that go inside the springs and inflate them in the winter and deflate them in the summer if you wanted to. We used to use them on our pickup trucks that we had.

Jay

#5 · (Edited)
Either do the spring upgrade or get the Timbrens. Putting in a set of Timbrens is cheaper than changing the front springs I bet. I have the Timbrens in my truck and with the truck parked, plow off, they are not touching, they are about a 1/2"-3/4" away from touching, therefor they do not affect the ride with the plow off. I was worried about the samething as you, getting a lousy bumpy ride from the Timbrens, but this hasnt been the case since they arent making contact with the plow off. I havent had the plow on yet since the Timbren install, so I cant comment on how the ride will be. I dont care if the ride is a little rougher with the plow on, as long as the Timbrens do what they are supposed to do, which Im sure they will from looking at how they are in there. Mike

#6 ·
check the tags on your springs.you'll probably want to go up a couple of numbers on the springs.I did this on the Dodge I used to have and it helped alot.I think the hot setup with the Diesel is 046 on drivers and 039 on pass. side.I would check with John DeMartino on this as he seems the most knowledgable on these trucks.

#7 ·
Here's a link to the specific model Timbren for your truck. I have the same truck/pkgs. as you and mine hardly droops. In fact I'm considering installing the 2" front levelers from Daystar or similar. That way the truck sits level year round. Requires an alignment afterwards and the pitman arm doesn't really need modding or replaced as some are led to believe. As mentioned, consider placing counterweight in the bed.

#8 ·
I just checked out these Timbrens also for the first time. I currently have air shocks for the front on my 92 and they do not hold air longer then a day or two. So I am worried about the ride when the plow (blizzard 810) goes on soon. I am considering Rancho 9100 series, Bilstein, or air shocks again. I have a 2.5 inch lift in the front to level out the overall truck so I am not sure if the Timbrens will help or not since they might sit too much of the springs. Not sure where the stock ones ride right now, will check tonight. Had Rancho 9000 years back and liked them for the ride quality but not sure if they would hold the extra 1000 lbs plow, even if turned up to 9? Would they extra weight damage them? Bilstein make adjustable or equivilant?

Thanks.

#9 · (Edited)
GMC,like was mentioned ,check your tags and see what you have now.Being a gas truck you should have o38 or lower numbered coils.You can go up one step if your looking for about a 1" raise in the front end.If your looking for closer to 2" raise get 2 new springs.If you have 038/037,and want a 2" rasie,get 0046/039,this will stiffen it quite a bit. I havent tried timbrens on the front of the Dodges,but I did try Monroe Muscles SLE's. I can tell you without a doubt DO NOT BUY the Monroes.I sent mine back ASAP for a full credit.I delt with Shock warehouse they did great by me. I called Monroe about 4 times,worked my way up to the engineers that design and test them.I battered him with questions until he admitted they did not work well on the Dodge's.Once i got that out him,I asked him the obvious question then why do you have a listing and sell a produt that doesnt work. The problem with the Monroes is the truck only sits 1/2" to 1" off the Monroe stop without the blade.Any bump bottoms the truck on the monroe rubber "which is rock hard,and the truck then is basically riding on the frame. Here is the page from a TDR member that lists all the factory springs availabe and there rates. http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/springs.htm

#10 ·
The Timbrens are a hundred times better than the Monroe muscle LSE.They don not affect ride quality at all with the plow on,they actually make it better.With the plow off,it is slightly stiffer,but not much.They do prevent bottoming better too.

If you have anything in the 037\038\039 range for front springs,then upgrade them.I usually go 047\048 combo,and it's pretty stiff.I am usually loaded heavy all the time,so it's no big deal.The 046\047's are a little softer,but will hold the plow up better than what you have now.

#11 · (Edited)
This may be a stupid question, so sorry if it is, but why 2 different spring numbers? Why not have 2 of the same in the front? Are the numbers different because there is a right and left, like a strut or caliper, or are the numbers different because they are a different firmness? Judging from the replies above, Im thinking its because of the firmness of the spring, but I dont understand why not have the same on both sides in the front. Is that because its compensating for the driver sitting in the driver seat? Mike

#12 ·
Dodge offsets the spring rates,with a stiffer one on the drivers side to compensate for the fuel tank and the driver on that side.

They all have very similar installed heights,so you can't really see a difference.

I have had no problem using identical springs,or ones with less ofset.

#13 ·
Well I decided to go with the timberens, the air shocks just seemed like they were going to be to much of a hassle. I've got one more question for you guys, a buddy of mine bought a ram 2 years ago and a mechanic at the dealer told him he should bring the truck in before the plowing season starts and have the bands in the trans adjusted?? Has anyone heard about this?

#14 ·
Yes and I would definatelty recommend that. Along with a trans. flush. I skrewed my 727 3 speed by not having them adjusted. The trans. shop said a band slipped and messed up almost everything else in my trans. If I would have had them adjusted then I might have saved $1300 on a rebuild. My local trans shop will adjust them and do a complete flush and filter for $130. .:crying:

#16 ·
The shop I go to is awesome. They give me a commercial warranty on any work done. They are locally owned, and always win the auto service award for my town every year. If thats a good price, then I will stick with them, cause I know their work is awesome. I've only had work done from them, cause of my experience and their reputation around town, so I had no idea whether I was getting a good deal. But I'm glad to know that I am.

#17 ·
One of the reasons why I went with Air Shocks is because from the factory in 92, if you got the Plow Package, they replaced the normal shocks with Air shocks. Since my normal shocks are gone, I need some type of shock and figured why not air for now and hopefully get Rancho 9000 for the summer. I don't tow or haul, just normal 35,000 /year driving. Air shocks help for the plowing but I will admit, they don't deliver the best ride for the summer.

#19 ·
3500 coils on a 2500?

Hey guys, with the new blizzard hooked up, the truck has a pretty good rake to it when it is raised. I can get a pair of coils from Napa for a 3500 for $124. I was wondering what the spring rates are on these. Napa doesn't have the rates, but we are going to need something stiffer. I was also wondering how much ballast you guys recommend to run in the back.

#20 ·
The 3500 coils may be no stronger than the 2500,as they share the same springs,depending on configuration.

If you can dig up the spring rates,I can match them up to the Dodge springs and see if they will help.

I'd also price the right springs from Dodge.You'll want a 046\047 or a 047\048 combination.

Timbrens will help if you don't already have them.

#21 ·
I got some specs on the springs from Napa. Here they are: Free height-17.78". Load Hight-16". Load 648. Rate load height(?) 400. # of coils 7.48. Wire Diameter-.828" and the inside is Conoco. I priced the 47/48 combo from dodge and they are $300 for a pair. He said they were the same that were used in a 3500. Maybe you can translate some of that jibberish at the top?:salute:

#22 ·
Judging by the specs you posted they would be the equivalent of a 039 from Dodge,but with a progressively stiffer rate due to the tighter coil winding.I wouldn't take any chances with them,unless they guarantee they will hold the weight of the plow,and will not sag after a few years.

I'd still go with the right springs from Dodge,as you know they will do the trick,and work as designed.Timbrens will still help take some load off the front end to with a plow that big.I run both the heavy springs and Timbrens together.

#23 ·
I have done some price checking from spring companies, and they don't have a significant difference, and I have come up with this: 1) Get a 47/48 combo from dodge, 2) get a progressive with a 1" lift, so I can leave them in and get a smoother ride, 3) get a stiff spring from spring shop, and take out in summer. What do you think?

#24 ·
Buy the ones from Dodge.If you want a bit of front lift,get a set of the bolt in upper coil tower spacers from Daystar.

I wouldn't trust any aftermarket or specialty springs,as they are very inconsistant and don't hold up well without sagging.

You will find the heavier Dodge springs don't ride much worse than what you have now.It will handle better,and not bottom as much over big bumps.If you really find them to stiff,swap the stock springs back in for the summer when your not plowing.They can be changed in less than an hour.

#25 ·
springs

I have a Ram 1500 I just did a 5.5 inch lift, from BDS suspension. The springs are much stiffer then factory but still ride great. I spoke with my distributor (suspension expert) he said get the ram 3500 springs WITH A DIESEL He said they should run no more then 200-250.00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.