1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end sag

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by roadking88, Oct 31, 2008.

1. roadking88

roadking88 Member

every where you read people say different... should i go with a readylift Key Leveling Kit
    or timberons??? got gmc 1/2 ton with mm2 on it...it sagged from day 1 from the factory in the front end...

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

This has been covered about 500 times, do a search. Timbrens always win. I have never seen a truck that has needed those keys. How many threads are left on ur t bar bolts???

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Brad is asking a good question, cranking the Torsion bars would be the first step. Timbrens second to help with the weight of the plow. However, my 97 1/2 ton sits level with the t bars cranked and drops 3/4 of an inch with my plow lifted, and no timbrens.

What year is your truck?

4. roadking88

roadking88 Member

people are saying the ride is rough after you turn torsions up...mine are stock from the factory,never touched them..here's a copy and paste..

I had the same problem on my 2002 gmc. I had them turn the torsion bars up, and it definatly raised the front for a better look...

But, it does ride a lot rougher, and in 4x4, I'm guessing the angles are no long what they were designed to be, and it's tricky turing in 4x4.

I'm really thinking of having them turned back down to factory ride for comfort and drivability in 4x4.

And definatly heed everyone's warning of "have your wheels re-aligned after ya do it".

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

My T-bars are cranked up, and yes, it does change the ride a little, but not that much. It all depends on the person driveing it. Do you want to ride like a caddy or a truck? As for the turning part, what alot of people do not realize is that if you take your truck to the shop and tell them to align it, thats all they do, they do not check the castor and camber settings, so after the t-bars get cranked, the tires will look like this \ / until you get the castor and camber reset. Not to mention that your tires will wear funny if you dont have them check that.

6. roadking88

roadking88 Member

so if you go to a front end alignment place they wont even look at castor and camber if you don't say anything...can a tire place do this or is this something only the dealer has to do??? thanks..i don't mind a stiffer ride at all, i mean hell it;s a truck right?? so who many turns should i start at??

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If your torsion bars havn't been cranked and have a lot of thread left then start with four turns. That should give you a noticeable difference. Also, timbrens would work very well in your situation. I'm going to assume that you have the 7.5 footer on your truck?

If you really wanted to get into this you could change out the torsion bars but that's a little extreme if you don't really need it. But like you said, if you don't mind a stiffer ride then go for cranking the t-bars up a little bit!

-mike-

8. roadking88

roadking88 Member

got it will start with that... yes 7 1/2 mm2 with stock bf goodrich all terrain ta,s

9. roadking88

roadking88 Member

I just check my measurements,and the drivers side is 1 inch lower than the passenger side.. that pretty bad isn't it?? from the factory to be that much off???

10. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I installed keys in my 07' 2500HD Classic. Mostly because I wanted some more height. Even with the keys I would still squat 1.5" I added Timbrens and only drop .5" now. I have the third stiffest torsion bars Gm offers for my truck so I could have gone with a stiffer t-bar but chose the Timbrens instead. IMO it rides better with and without the plow.

11. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

For a new truck it's a lot, but if the truck is older it's just wear (driver, gas tank being a load on that side) Be careful with those bolts, I saw someone snap one once. Make sure the truck is jacked up, and the bolts are drenched with lube.:salute:

12. roadking88

roadking88 Member

it's a 02 gmc.. i tried turning it for the heck of it without jacking it up with a breaker bar and it turns real easy got it to within a 1/4 inch of the other side with 1 turn,,i will jack it up to go 3 or 4 turns more when i have more time... will 5 turns on the drivers side and 4 on pass side be too much??

13. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Prior to the keys I had about 6 turns into mine. You need to sure you have the proper clearance between your control arm and the bump stop I beleive that is about 3/4" if I remember correctly. Raised it about 1". Keep in mind though that if you raise it 1" and it drops 1" with the plow up. You'll be right back where you started. There's a ton of reading on this go back about 3 weeks in the Chevy thread and you'll find a thread I started in there where a lot of good information was shared.

14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I see the bolts on these bottomed all the time. The biggest thing I have seen is U can run out of shock travel. But U should be fine.

15. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Any alignment shop can check them, and if the truck does need a kit for it to be adjustable, they usually arent too bad. Kost Tire quoted me $160 installed for my truck.

16. roadking88

roadking88 Member

well got em turned up..5 turns on the drivers side 2 on passenger side..but i measured and it still says i'm 1/2 inch lower on the drivers side than the pass side...it started out almost 1 inch...should i lower the passenger side or go up more on drivers side or leave it alone...looks alot better as far as being level with the rear...not much thread left on the drivers side

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008