1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end sag

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by apalermo, Nov 4, 2004.

1. apalermo

apalermo Member

hey gang,i just got my artic mount installed on my 1990 1/2 ton pick up.3350 lbs.front end.my question is thay did not touch my torsions.my truck sits high up.i went home and put the 7.6 poly plow on.and the truck went down but the bottom of the mount is still about 8 inches above the ground.the steering is quite tough to turn to.do you think the torsions should be cranked.also no timbrens istalled.truck is sitting high has about a 3 inch lift.but the front is only 3350 lbs.please let me know if i should go back and tell them to crank the torsions.thanks.

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

sagging??

pull it up with some firestone airbags they have always worked for me try em y mite like em !!

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Don't crank the torsion bars up too high. :nono: Install a set of timbrens on the front.Get a hold of Big Nate. He sells them for $135.00. :waving:

4. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I talked to a mechanic in my area and he suggested heavy duty torsion springs. The only problem is they are not cheap. He got some from a salvage yard for $150.00 each, not to mention you may have to have a mechanic install them and then get a front end alignment. My 1/2 ton sags about 2" with a 7'6" steel plow. From what I have read on this forum the timrens are the answer. I am thinking very serious about adding this option on my truck.

Good luck. Let us know how things work out for you.

Kevin

1999 chevy 1/2 ton, Boss super duty 7'6" steel.

5. maurader

maurader Member

First off, you say the truck has a 3 inch lift. Is this a body lift or a suspension lift? I don't think timbrens will work on lifted truck. If it is only a body lift then you should install the timbrens and maybe crank the torsion bars up a couple of turns. It only takes a couple of minutes with an 18mm ratchet to complete. I had a 7.5 western poly pro on a 98 Tahoe and I had to crank the torsion bars plus put in the timbrens. The timbrens made a huge difference. The steering also felt a lot harder on my truck with the plow on. Maybe that generation had weaker power steering pumps.
    Good luck and also try putting some ballast in your bed.

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

My reply on this subject has been removed. For the love of me I don't know why. I basically wanted to know the weight of your plow. If it is in the 750lb. range it is too heavy for a 1/2 ton. It should be in the 550 lb. range. Now lets see if this reply is removed. Seems to happen more and more here lately.

7. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Get Timbrens dude. I have them on my one ton, just for the hell of it. They work awesome. (front & rear). No sag at all. I tested my truck next to my friends same F350 with the exact same plow on and the difference was night & day.