1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end sag solutions?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by WilliamOak, Dec 10, 2009.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

My truck drops (obviously lol) with the plow raised (truck and plow in sig) and it bugs me and I DO NOT CARE if its not a big deal to you, if you don't mind it on your truck great but I'm not a fan of it. I have about 700# of sand bags right along the tailgate and I get pretty good traction from that / feel like its adequate ballast and was thinking of going up to 1k lbs. but I would rather bring the front end UP to be level with the rear. What I'm asking is Is there a way to either raise the front end (leveling kit? but that = death wobble on dodges from what ive read or timbrens) because even with the plow off its not quite level maybe from the front springs breaking in after having the plow on (this is the first my truck has plowed). I do have plow prep so dont ask. Are dodges like the later fords where you can swap for a heavier duty coil?
    here's a picture of what the sag is like. It's really not much but it's enough to aggravate me lol.

011.jpg

2. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

does not look like a problem to me

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yes, the coils swap right over, infact I know of a few that went from 1/2-3/4 ton springs for the same reason. They also make spacers that go up in there too being able to utilize you're stock springs ;)

I don't blame you, I'm one for having the front up there as well. I actually see a lot of Dodges around here taking a nose dive with the plow on, especially v's, especially once the coils start sagging after a few years.

4. WilliamOak

This isnt a good pic of it really at all. I'm looking for solutions not opinions!
    No offense at all rjnjr1019.

5. WilliamOak

BILL TO THE RESCUE!!!!!! lol
    Please tell me more / point me in the right direction about the spacers because I already have the 3/4 ton coils. What about the coils on the new 5500's with the 7k axles would that even fit my truck?

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

5500's probably not, 3500's yes.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

8. WilliamOak

How much heavier are the 3500 front end springs than the 3/4 ton ones? I'm really thinking out loud more than asking you bill, being the gm guy you are lol.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  9. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I run leveling kits on both my Dodges and couldn't be happier. I run a 9.2 V-XT and my front end barely moves.

I don't believe that the front springs of a 3500 are any heavier, only the rear springs are rated for higher weight.

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Check out topguncustomz.com they have great deals on spacers- they literally bolt right up (3 bolts) above your current coils. Death wobble will only occur if you currently have trac bar problems (they coils just amply the current issue). A lot of guys do not have this issue so you should be good.

You could go to diesel springs but it will ride like a go cart when you don't have the plow hooked up.

12. WilliamOak

Damn, looks like they have alot to offer lol. I'm a total newb when it comes to lifts/ leveling kits. Any brands to stay away from? I have heard bad things about rough country but that was on a ford and it looks like these kits are all relatively the same. I'm also thinking of going 2.5" but then I'd have to do something to the rear but that would give me an awesome stance in the front. And as soon as we get a few decent storms I'm getting 285 hankook atm's so it should look pretty badass lol.
    Also, will 2.5" really mess up my plow as far as the angle of the A frame? Because I really dont want to mess with the bracket lol.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The link I provided IS topguncustomz ;)

14. WilliamOak

I am just now realizing that also.... lol

15. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

A simple 2-2.5" leveling kit will give you the lift you're looking for. Some are billet, others powder coated but pretty much are all the same thing. I put some in my Tundra so it has the ground clearance a truck should have.
    If you want to spend the money, Timbren's seem to be a good product. I'm no expert but I believe Timbren's doesn't raise the front end, instead it restricts the springs from bottoming and stops the lowering effect caused by added weight. This would be advantageous to maintain factory ride height when the plow is not hooked up. But it's more money........

16. WilliamOak

Yea I'm gonna go with a 2.5" leveling kit. Seems like no matter what brand it is they're all the same thing. powder coated isnt a big deal and nothing a little fluid film won't solve/protect.

17. WilliamOak

just ordered the 2.5" spacers from Hell Bent Steel. They were $80 with free shipping so for that much I dont have that much into them if it doesnt turn out how I want. (jeez look at me, saying $80 isnt a big deal.... am I an idiot??? lol)

18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry bud, can't look at ebay while I'm on the job. But yes, they are basically all the same and if the front sits high, just buy a 1-2" block for the rear of your truck (or a new block that is 1-2" higher than the stock 2500 trucks). The 94-01 (02 2500/3500) have tons of lift options that are fairly cheap and easy to do. 285's would fit on your truck stock and will look great.

19. WilliamOak

Yea I'm on the mission now to find something for the rear. itll depend on how different it site with the
    2.5" spacers in the front though.

20. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i think youll be happy with the leveling kit. it looks like you didn't have sag prolems it looks just like how dodges sit. (if that makes any sense)