1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end sag problem please help a new guy out

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mow It All, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Mow It All

Mow It All Member

Hey guys im fairly new to the site and had a few questions I hope you can anwser.....I just put a 7 1/2 myers on my 97 dodge ram 1500. The front end sags now and its actually noticable and im losing tracktion. Thats just the mount not even the plow. I found an water bag (see link below) to keep the a#* down while the plow is on, but what can I do to keep the front up when the plow is not on? Thanks guy

Robert Gaida
    Mr. Mow It All
    Brick NJ

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sounds like you may need new shocks if it's that bad with just the mount. You also need something for ballast, probably about 300 pounds in the bed. Use something that can be secured by a strap so it won't move around. You might also use some load boosters to help the front end. For example: http://www.timbren.com/
  3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

That doesn't sound right with just the mounts sagging the truck. I would bet your springs are worn out. I would take it to a local spring shop and ask them. If you springs are gone, you could have them replaced or change them yourself. I'm not sure, do you have coil springs?
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

yeah, I agree with Yaz- sounds like the springs are getting soft. Timbrens are a good booster and an in addition too ( I would recomend them in addition to replacing the springs)
    Ballast in the rear will help. If you can put the ballast strapped to the tailgate in the bed- further back in the bed the better, you will find less needed. If you add weight over the rear axle you're only adding traction to the rear, not affecting the weight and balence of the plow.
  5. Briarpatch Joe

Briarpatch Joe Junior Member

Unless you have air shocks on the front-----shocks do not support the load---they only control rebound. Sounds like springs to me. Timbrens are great!
  6. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Timbrens are good, but get the springs looked at first. You might be able to replace them with a set from a 99 Dodge 3/4 ton. It might be easy to do your self, do a little research on line. On my F250 SD, I replaced my front springs and was not to hard to do.
  7. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Much like the others said, I would first look at getting the 2500's front springs and throwing them on your truck, it is a direct fit, and you unlike me with a 2002 1500, are lucky in the fact that you have a solid front axle still. Replacing the shocks will not fix the problem solely on their own, but if you have the money I suggest you go to a double shock bracket on each side (these typically run around 60-80 bucks). If you had only the money for one fix, I would definitely throw my money at the heavier duty springs! Good luck!
  8. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006