1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end sag on 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by harley9202, Dec 11, 2007.

1. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

I just put my Western 7.5' Unimount on my 2001 Silverado 1500 and it sags way down. I ordered the Timbren's, but another guy told me to go with oversized truck shocks in the front instead. I've seen the arguments on Timbren's vs. airbags, but no mention of just bigger shocks. Will these hold up the front end with the plow?
  2. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Springs support a vehicle, and shocks dampen suspension deflections. Timbrens are the way to go as they are non-intrusive when the vehicle is unladen. HD shocks may add supplimental lift but at the expense of every day ride comfort. Running some ballast also helps to combat front end sag.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

front end timbrens ride all the time... it's even a bugger getting them in... and my t-bars have been cranked also. its not too bad of a ride tho, just dont put them in the back!!!
  4. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Well I can only speak definitively for how the Timbrens ride on my 97 Classic, but in this context they do not make contact unless there is 3/4 inch of compression. So unladen the truck rides like they are not there.
  5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Hey, I have a similar setup and Timbren for sure are the way to go.
    I have a Boss 7'-6" Superduty and dual battery setup on a 2002 Chevy 1500.

I drove without and then with Timbren and I can tell your for sure I will never plow without them.

You get quicker recovery, safer cornering, and no bobing in transport

I thought they where a little pricey and I looked for a short cut like tweaking the T-bar but as you can see I am super happy with timbrens and I think most of the plowers on this site like'm

Good luck
    Mike C
  6. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll go with the Timbrens. Haven't heard much bad about them. Not nearly as much as the benefits.
  7. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Have you ever seen a 2500 Chevy with an 8 ft. or larger? Looks like the rear wheels are almost off the ground....they cant handle them stock like a FORD
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, I have seen Chevys with 8ft or larger. Heck, my plow is 9'7" with the wings on, but they arn't as heavy as a solid blade.

My 1500 drops an inch with my plow raised. This can't be normal.:confused:
  9. captfudd

captfudd Member

You aint kidding there either

Just installed my Meyer and we are going to the spring shop to get the front end rasied up Chevy says that this is the way the new trucks are ... and I said well it may be my last Chevy then there is no reason a 2500 HD plow prepped etc should need the torsion bars cranked total Bull*** but I havent got the time to fight with the dealer (s) I aalmost got screwed last week being a truck short and theres alot of talk for the end of this week so I'll just make her right and live to fight another day!

BTW my 04 1500 with the plow never needed anything except 400-500 pounds in the bed and I never had any problems so try that before the timbrens it may work :D
  10. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

There is still time to trade it in on a FORD. LOL
  11. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

nah, it probably is normal, I measured mine, and it only drops an inch. It just looked like more. I dont have wings for mine, but I do still have the beat factory Bilsteins on the front, so all in all, not too bad.
  12. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

UMMMMMMM, maybe it's because the chevrolet is set up that way to ride better than the ford..which it does(FACT)..After 2 transmissions on the old 2000 f250..and only 80k..I love my 02, 2500
  13. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I just put timbrens on my 2002 gmc 1500. I found it is much easier to install after you remove the lower shock bolt gives you more room.
  14. harley9202

harley9202 Junior Member

Good tip, thanks. Just waiting for them to come in, so I can install them. Hopefully by the weekend. Possibility of snow here.
  15. hprplowtruck

hprplowtruck Junior Member

I have a 2002 1500 as well. the nose used to dive all the time until we installed timbrens it was the best 400.00 i ever spent. Truck does not bob and does not pull to the left any more.