1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end replacement

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rmartin, Dec 28, 2005.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

Today just cost me about $1000 to replace my front-end. Took it in due to a grinding noise under the drivers side wheel. Turns out the ball joints on both sides are junk. While removing the drivers side ball joints, the wheel bearing is found to be junk also.
    Now this is a 2002 f350 sd with approx 54k on it. I understand that it takes a beating during the plowing seasons. I have upgraded the leaf springs up front and installed the timbrens. What else other than the grease fittings can be done to ease the decline of this area of the truck?:drinkup:
  2. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier Junior Member

I just replaced the ball joints and the right front wheel bearing assembly last week on my 01 350 dump for the grand total of $1200. The thing that makes me crazy is at 200k on my 95 all original front end, 01 junk at 60k miles
  3. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I have a F 250 super duty with snow plow package I bought new in 03. When I went to get it inspected. the guy at the ispection station told me one of the ball joints was a little loose. I did`nt even plow the first year. I could`nt believe the guy was telling me that. Only had about 12000 miles on the truck. I have the truck serviced faithfully at the ford dealership, and they never said there was any thing wrong. Im begining to wonder if some one`s lying? :dizzy:
  4. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

ball joints

Buddy did his at 30000, did mine at 50000, and my wifes excursion at 80000, nature of the beast and a poor design on fords part. They actually make a kit in the ford parts for this called a wonder kit according to the ford parts counter
  5. makplow

makplow Senior Member

YEA!!! I`m glad I have the extended warranty on mine. :nod:
  6. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

the 99-04 ford superduty's have the same front ends that the dodge rams had, that were famous for their bad front ends.........same part numbers same crappy design. I called ford yesterday and asked if their replacement parts contained grease fittings. Their:gunsfiring: anwser..........FOR WHAT??????
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I realize it's a crap shoot, but I keep hearing this. My '00 lasted til 78K, plowing since new. My '02 went to 56K, plowing since new. I don't really see this as unacceptable considering what we are hanging off these trucks. Would I like to get longer life, sure, but everything wears out eventually.

12K and no plowing is totally unacceptable, though.
  8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

My wheel bearings went out at 120k and the truck has plowed since new in 2000. The ball joints have been done a few times. Dynatrac makes a kit to convert the unit wheel bearings to the old style (pre super duty) serviceable style bearings but the kit is around $1600. Dodge, Ford and GM now use unit wheel bearings, so I guess there is no looking back. I must admit, considering the time it takes to r/r a unit wheel bearing and the part cost, comparing it to the parts and time involved in servicing a old style bearing it is about the same $ wise in the end.