1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front-end repair

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rmartin, Dec 28, 2005.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

Today just cost me about $1000 to replace my front-end. Took it in due to a grinding noise under the drivers side wheel. Turns out the ball joints on both sides are junk. While removing the drivers side ball joints, the wheel bearing is found to be junk also.
    Now this is a 2002 f350 sd with approx 54k on it. I understand that it takes a beating during the plowing seasons. I have upgraded the leaf springs up front and installed the timbrens. What else other than the grease fittings can be done to ease the decline of this area of the truck?:drinkup:
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Wow!!!! Was that for both sides or only one side??? I hate to say it but I could have replaced all 4 ball joints, u-joints, steering joints, brake pads & rotors & calipers for less than that. If all you did was ball joints and bearings the parts should have run about $300, an allignment (just to be certain) would run about $75.00, and labor (about 5 hours) would be about $450.00 and that would be for both sides.
  3. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

ball-joints both sides(parts $100, labor$400, wheelbearing 1 side (part $375) break pad replacement ($0.00--under warantee) Alignment $45.00
    total $915.00

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

that will happen!:waving:
  5. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

what other measures do you guys use to extend the life of your front end......I added extra leafs, timbrens.......what else?
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Springs and Timbrins have nothing to do with ball joints, tie rods, or u-joints.
    The springs are over the axle- right? The balljoints are PART of the axle, right?
    Upgrading springs increases the LEVEL load capacity (not the weight carrying capacity).
    The axle ujoints will last longer if you unlock the hubs as much as possible - Fords still have that ability.

Grease 'em, grease 'em, grease 'em! If you fail to grease a greaseable (they are not sealed) it can be a gonner in a season whereas a sealed non greasable will last much longer left alone (130K and counting on my factory rear driveshaft joints) A greasable, properly greased regularly, will outlast a non-greasable.

All you can do is grease them regularly, you cannot prevent it- it's part of plowing. You're adding a 1000lbs to the front end, remember. Take the plow off as soon as you can when you're done, that's about it.
    Seals go bad that lets grease and oil out and water in- probabily the reason for the wheel bearings going.

BTW thet price sounds about right for the repairs. Ran me about the same for my Ram minus the wheel bearing cost which I have not needed yet- knock on wood.

This wouldn't happen to be a PSD now would it?
  7. john-boy

john-boy Member

thats a great price including a wheel bearing, since the bearings are non servicable/non greasable!! although i would of had both bearings replaced
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, its part of plowing..:nod: