1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end rebuild on 97 F250H/D need advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cvwhr, Oct 23, 2010.

1. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

Hey guys:

I am gona rebuild the front end of my 97 250 H/D w/ a 7.3, outer axle u-joint, outer tierod ends, upper&lower ball joints. Problems there are so many brands out there what is the best bang for my buck.

Thanks for any help

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

in stock form, that truck has a dana 50 front axle. best thing to do if you have the time/money/ability is to put a dana 60 under it from a 85-97 F350.

but if thats not feasible, the best u joints are the original, spicer u joints (no grease fittings - grease fittings make a u joint weaker). i just rebuilt my dana 60 and the best price on the spicer units was ebay. there are a ton of cheaper u joints out there with all sorts of "lifetime" guarentees, but the spicers are the best and worth the extra money.

for ball joints, XRF is company. i don't know if they make it for a dana 50 though. best to place to buy is the link below. maybe call them up and see if they know if xrf makes a set for the dana 50. or look up xrf online and see what their website says.

http://www.thetireclub.com/item.wws...504651&mfr=XRF?q=K80026K8607T&safe=active

3. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Moog. Lifetime warranty.

I just did my entire front end and took out the moog stuff that wore out and took it back to the parts store.......NEW shiny parts over the counter-FREE.

Any brand that has a lifetime warranty is good. I used napa tie rods. They have several grades of parts so match the grade to your budget or the trucks life expectancy.

4. linckeil

from CT

you can get u joint for under $15 at autozone with a lifetime warranty. if they last 1/5 as long as the spicer u joints you'd be doing real good. you're not talking about chaging a taillight bulb. a u joint swap takes time, so spend the extra bucks on the good stuff. i've messed around with the cheap "lifetime" u joints before - never again.

5. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I agree with all the above.....ESPECIALLY swapping in a Dana 60 front axle.

Very simple swap and you will make the money back in tires saved pretty quick.

-Phillip

6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

moog thats what i used in my truck or napa
    they are both good but moog is the best :mechanic:

7. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I am a huge advocate for OEM when it is available. Typically you will get the same if not longer life out of your replacement parts.

8. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

Thanks for all the help I am going with all moog parts, it's not cheap but hopefully will last.

9. linckeil

from CT

thats a mistake in my opinion. do a search on moog quality. in recent years there has been a lot of talk about quality levels declining.

10. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

linckeil is right, not just on here. Read other forums too. I use Napa premium/precision parts most of the time.

11. Toolin Customs

Toolin Customs Member
    from Md

Hey def do your research, i have a 97 250 Hd, ive run moog, auto zone advance auto parts whatever, swapped in a d60, which was really easy. havent had any problems since. tire wear is perfect, all of the ends hold up great, however i give you this warning. if your gonna do the d60 swap, things to consider, If your going to keep the stock ride height your going to need to make some modifcations to the crossmember because of the lack of clearence with the new diff location. also you might have to shorten the front drive shaft as the yoke for the 60 sits back further than the ttb. other option, Lift just a bit. I put in positive arch springs springs in the front off a superduty. a very small block in the back, and i clear 36 inch 12.5 at radials with no other modifications. make sure your gearing is right and you wont be sorry. by far the best investment in the truck you could make.