1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end problem???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay I will try to describe it the best I can. When I turn my wheel hard to lock left or right, the truck kinda "stumbles" on its self. It almost feels the same as when you turn hard in 4x4 on dry pavement. It feels like the front end grabs real hard, like the wheel is gonna break off sideways or something. I do know the tires it has on it right now are most definatly not the right ones for the truck. They were on there when I bought it. It calls for load range E tires, but it has C tires on it. The steering isnt loose or off center. Nor does it pull at all. It is just concerning to me and would appreciate any info on this. Im sorry I cant describe it any better.:help:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is this something that just started all of a sudden? Or do you think that maybe you just noticed it, but the truck could have been doing it for a while?

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Is this problem on your 2500hd 2000 ? Tire range would not cause a torque up - unless they are running near flat. Have you checked your cv joints? anything look broken?

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

B&B, the truck did it very slightly a month ago, but it has gotten worse now.

ScottL, the truck is a regular 2500 nonHD. My tires are not flat, but they dont hold the air pressure of a E range tire, which led me to this. My CV joints, according to the dealership I got it from in December, which I have a receipt to prove, that they are fine. There is nothing damaged or broken up front at all. It doesnt vibrate, pull or anything when I drive, just does this when I make sharp turns in a lot or backing out of a drive. It does it in 2wd and 4wd. And only when the wheels are turned to lock or very close to it. It is irritating to say the least. I am confused as to what it may be??:help:

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's gotten worse, then I'd think you definitely have something wearing. Three questions, 1) Have you checked the ball joint's lately? Worn BJ's could cause it to hop with the wheel's cranked but not necessarily make it steer funny so you couldn't tell they were worn by how it steer's. 2) Does your truck have the locking rear differential? 3) Can you feel it more in the steering wheel or does it feel like it's in the whole truck?

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

No I have not checked the ball joints yet. What would be the best way to check them?? As far as I know, according to what I found through the RPO's that it has the 4.10 gears but no locker. I feel it in the wheel mostly, but the whole truck jerks really hard when it happens.:gunsfiring:

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Is the transfer case stuck in 4X4 (not the shifter) jack up 1 (one) front wheel and spin it by hand. If it don't spin you in 4X4. Or you have a have shaft U joint that is bad. lift both front wheels and turn the steering wheel all the way over, now spin the tires, the side with the bad U-joint will bind as you rotate the tire.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

nope it is not in 4x4. I have the on the dash push button shift. If there was an issue, the lights would flash. My u-joints on the drive shafts are a month or so old. I dont have u-joints in my axle shafts due to I have IFS. So I have the CV shafts instead. Thank you though:waving:

9. brockh

brockh Junior Member
    from PA

10. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Check your idler arm and pitman arm. I have replaced quite a few on 2500HD's this year. I had one truck that did almost the same thing your truck is doing.

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

How do you go about checking your idler arm and pitman arm?? Or is this something better left to a shop??

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

How's your tire wear? My Silverado will do something similar to what you're experiencing when my front tires get worn towards the outside. It goes away when I rotate them.

Buck

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yes, mine wear to the outside. I am gonna get new ones soon

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The best way to check some of this stuff is to jack up the front of the truck and place it on jack stand's. Place the stands all the way to the end of the bottom control arms as you can, right next to the tire's.Doing this will keep the suspension closer to the actual ride height rather than letting it hang which can affect your tests. To check the BJ's, grab the tire at the 12:00 and 6:00 o'clock positions and try to rock the tire in and out by pulling out on the bottom while pushing in on the top, then push/pull in the exact opposite directions.Basically your trying to rock the tire in and out. If you feel the tire "rocking", then either the BJ's are worn or the wheel bearing is worn. While you have the truck on the stand's I'd check the CV's too like plowmeitser said earlier. To check the CV's do just like he said, Turn the steering to full lock and rotate the tire by hand. Can you feel any tight spot's while rotating the tire? Turn the steering the other way to full lock and check it again. Do both side's, in both directions. To check the idler and pitman arm's, the truck should be on the ground. Have a helper "wiggle" the steering wheel back and forth about 2" while you watch the idler and the pitman arms where they connect to the center link bar that goes from one side of the truck to the other. Also check the body of the idler arm for any up and down movement where it pivot's on the bracket that's bolted to the frame.

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks alot guys:salute: As soon as it gets a little warmer outside, I will take a look at it. Whatever I find out, I will post back on here.

16. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

help

what ended up being the problem cause i think my truck is doing the same thing!!!

17. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well, it needed new tires, idler and pitman arms, swaybar bolts and bushings. Then a good front end alignment. No more problems now!!!

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you got it all fixed up. Around here we consider pitman and idler arm replacemet as normal "maintanence" items on the IFS GM's when runnin' a plow :nod: .

19. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

How much did that all end up costing you to have done? I think that sounds like the problem ive been having :(

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Mike, it cost me 600 bucks to get done. Dont know if that was high or low. It is a very, very common plague among IFS GM plow trucks. As B&B stated, consider it normal maintenance