1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end problem.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Jan 9, 2005.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I posted in the Ford truck section, but figured I would have more people see it here..
    I have an '03 Ford 250 superduty, 4x4 5.4.. For the last few weeks, every time I go over a bump or pothole, or crack! The fronmt end is banging.It feels like something hits the driver side floorboard..I put on new shocks with no change..any ideas??
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

check your sway bar end links. the bushings have a tendancy to not last that long.
    have you checked to see that everything is tight, u bolts, springs shackles, and things like that?
  3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I checked what I could, I pulled and pushe don eveything, and nothing felt loose, but like i stsated, every bump the truck hits, the front left side is banging, and it feels like something hits under the floorboard..I will recheck them..thanks
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

is this with plow on or plow off?
    mine bangs on every bump in the winter from the rear overload springs making contact due to my counter wieght in the rear, i also get some noises from big ice turd build up behind the front wheels, other than those simple items, i agree with 04superduty, check the swaybar links, they are not easy to diagnose by pushing or pulling on them, you either need a pry bar or jack it up and use a pry bar on them, move side to side and all other ways, if they have movement at all its not normal.
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

you could try disconnecting one of the end links, i think its 15 and 18 metric, and driving around. wire the link up out of the way first though. then do the other side to see. usually it is the end links that make that sound.
  6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

My 87 GMC does the same thing...and fot the last 10 years. One of these days I will have to check it out!
  7. drplow

drplow Senior Member

jack the front end up and then try to wiggle and parts that move.
    if you hit a bump are your tires hitting the fender
  8. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Check the track rod bolts and the big bushings for the sway bar..