1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end problem....here it goes

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NU-Plowr, Dec 11, 2004.

1. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

Ok, so I don't get TOOOOO jacked when I take the truck up to the mechanic Monday.

I'm wondering if you guys can give me any insite to what may be the problem with my truck. To start out:

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4WD
    8' Western Plow

I haven't had this truck for to long, bought with 40k on it, now has 50k. This truck has only towed hard (boats) not plowed (hence my name in here). Whats happening is everytime I turn the wheel all the way to the right, OR left, I'm getting a grinding and almost like a little bit of chatter. It does not matter 2 or 4wd, still happens the same. Keep in mind other than this, the truck has no driveabiltiy issues. I recently did the adjustment on the steering gear that removed a small amount of play I had in the wheel.

I'm thinking it may be the u-joints up front, but trust me, I'm not exactly mechanically inclined when it comes to front end problems and corrective action.

What do you guys think? I would like to maybe SOUND :rolleyes: like I know a little when I take it to the mechanic!!

Thanks

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Ujoints on that front axle on that truck always turn and would be the first thing I would check based on your description. Look at then closely and look for sign or joint wear, looseness and bits of grit or rust coming out under lip seals on joint. If that checks out inspect the front axle ball joints next they a source of trouble with a diesel and a plow until 03 when axle was upgraded. I know your truck is a V10 but this it what I would check this to because I feel the problem is one of these two items.

3. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

ok, good, I'm thinking down the same path. Thanks much.

4. nysnowman

nysnowman Junior Member

Could be the wheel bearings also.A good test for this is go down the road and turn wheel side to side and see if it makes the noise,shoulld get louder as you turn and quieter as the wheels straighten back out.Be ready though,the bearings are about $250 a piece.

5. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

If you tightend the steering gear too tight that may be making the noise. sometimes they lock up if you get them too tight

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my truck, but I'd describe the sound I had as more of a scraping sound than a grinding one. But, I figure it's worth telling anyway, as it could possibly be your problem.

Put your wheel hard over to the side you're getting the noise from and then get out and look at the inside of your wheel. There's a metal disc going all the way around with just a small gap at the edge between it and the wheel. I don't know what the hell you call the thing, I just know it's there to keep a majority of crap out of the disc brakes while still allowing water to drain out.

If that thing is misaligned, which mine was, it will make a scraping/grinding sound when you turn that wheel, for me it was every time I went to the left. The good news is that it can be moved around by hand, I felt like a girl in front of my mechanic when I complained to him about it and he just reached right in bare handed and fixed the thing. Took all of 30 seconds. Cost, $0.

I don't know if this is what's ailing your truck, but if it is it's an easy fix.