1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end posi

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jlsanborn, Jun 13, 2003.

1. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

I read in an earlier thread that it is not a good idea to run a posi in the front end. Ooops! I have already purchased a limited slip diff for my D60. How is it going to go on snow covered roads? Should I leave the open diff in there?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It will be terrible on snow and ice,as it will not want to turn.When turning the outside wheel must turn faster,and with a limited slip or posi,that doesn't want to happen easily.It will work,but it will want to push when traction is low.Both front wheels will just slide,and the truck will not turn.

If you have locking hubs,and really want to run the limited slip,then you can put it in,and just lock one hub when driving on road,and lock both when you need the traction off road.This technique helps off road too,as sometimes with a posi and both front hubs locked,the truck will not turn,especially in the mud.

Another option is to put in an air locker or cable operated locker,like an ox locker.

3. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

Thanks for the input. I was afraid of this to begin with. If I run with one side locked, how bad do you think it would roast the diff? Any experience with the selectable lockers? How dependable is the cable operated system? Is the ox a good quality unit? I have not heard much about them but have seen them in the mags.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

From what I have heard,the OX is a good unit,no major problems have been reported.Only concern I would have is cable\linkage\pivot corrosion and siezing,or even freezing up,due to the harsh environment created when plowing.

Running with one hub won't toast the diff at all.The diff could care less what the hubs are doing.You might see a little extra wear on the hub internals,but nothing major.Using good hubs,proper maintenance and greasing,and not always locking the same hub will prevent most of it.

5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

If you ran with one hub unlocked, would you wear the clutch pack out? I know this is common practace on the trails but would driving in 4 wheel for hours on end plowing kill it with one hub ?

If you want better front traction get a selectable one like the ARB or the Eaton E- Locker. That way you have the best of both worlds.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wouldnt run with a posi with one hub locked. Just me. To easy to burn up the clutch pack IMO

Also any limited slip will push like a greased pig on rollerskates when on snow/ice. Even in mud it can be a disadvantage since it will make your truck plow pretty bad.

For a plow truck/street truck I would run an open front end. If I had lotsa $$$ maybe a arb or preferably OX but then that only if you get stuck bad and need to have better than 3 wheel drive. A mud truck I would run the same set up. A rock crawler I would weld the front or spool it.

JMO

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

It would be pretty hard to burn up the clutch packs with only one hub locked.You would have to have a situation where the rear wheels were spinning,and only the one front (the one with the hub locked) had traction.This could slip the clutch plates for a bit,but they are meant to slip now and again,so it won't really hurt it.If you sat there spinning the rears for an hour,withthe front not spinning,then maybe you toast it,but you'd have to be pretty well stuck to do so.If you were you'd just get out and lock the other hub.

I know numerous guys who have done it,and I myself have,and haven't seen a failure yet.