1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snoluvr, Jan 9, 2005.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I have an '03 250 superduty. 5.4 4x4.
    The last few weeks my truck has been getting worse..Any time I go over a slight bump or pot hole, the whole front end bangs, and it feels like something hits my drivers side floorboard. I put the truck on the lift and cannot find anything loose.I even put on new shocks, and it has not helped at all..any ideas??

2. FORDV10

FORDV10 Member
    from CT.

ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE NOT HITTING THE BUMP STOP UNDER THE FRAM AND LEAF SPRINGS, THAT NOISE WILL HAPPEN IF YOU DO HIT A BUMP HARD, I HAVE A 350 C/C WITH THE V-10 AND ON OCCASIONS I DO HERE THAT NOSIE AFTER HITTING A POT HOLE. :drinkup:

3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

It is even when I hit aq frost heave.. Any little bump.. it feels like something is hitting on the bottom of my floor and the left front makes a loud banging...will need to check it out on the lift today.
    they build these like they used 2.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'm having the exact same problem on my 99. Let me know what you come up with.

5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I am checking into it this afternoon...

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

sway bar link end is what i replaced on my wifes excursion
    for the same problem
    john

7. Adironscapes

Adironscapes Junior Member

I have a 2002 F-350 and as cardoctor said sway bar link end.

8. The Boss

Thanks for the tip guys. Snoluvr, what did you find out?

9. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

end links/../

If I grab the end link, it can be rotated over 1/2 in each direction. Is this normal or does it sound extreme..Noise is getting louder and more noticeable..Also adding helpers to the rear to counteract the weight of my sander and load..
    Are end links a warranty issue??

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The Super Duty trucks have had the l. front cab mount come loose on some trucks. It is located right below the drivers feet and has very similar symptoms. Take the nut off and clean the threads and use some thread locker on it.

11. jcmjclem

jcmjclem Junior Member

I have a 99 F250SD and I had a similar rattle. I replaced everything (shocks,ball joint, bushing...) to find I still had the rattle. I later found a post on a Ford Truck Forum about the poly spacers or sleeves falling out or wearing completely down between my front leaf springs. (Ford actually sells a replacement kit for the 99' because they had such a problem with them falling apart.) I never had this problem with my F350 but my friend has a 2001 Excursion and he had a similar problem on his passenger side! He replaced the sleeve/spacer problem eliminated. The spacer/sleeve is located where the second spring ends directly on the bracket for the first spring. I hope that's the problem very easy solution to an annoying problem!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  12. The Boss

Thanks, I'll check that as well.