1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Arrow, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Arrow

Arrow Junior Member

Hey all,
    My 95 Chevy Z71 has a vibration/grinding noise coming from somewhere in the front end, possibly from the diff or front drive shaft. Doesn't't happen all the time every couple of days or so. I can get rid of it by pulling the 4x4 shifter toward HI-LOC. I don't have to actually put it in 4 wheel drive just about half way or so and the noise goes away. Any Ideas?
    Thanks
    Arrow

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Sounds like a linkage is out of wack. Climb under and give it a look.

3. Arrow

Arrow Junior Member

Thanks, I never thought about the linkage. I was assuming the front cv joints or diff. i.e. big money.

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

It still could be something else but worth a look anyways. If it goes away by moving the lever some, does it happen in 4 wheel? It could be the fork in the front diff that engages the front axle. There is a fork in there that slids a collar to lock in the front end. The more I think of it the more I think thats the problem. It is an easy fix if you can remove and split the front diff.

5. CHPL

CHPL Member

Sometimes there is a snap ring in the rear of the transfer case that will break and lets the shaft slide forward usually on acceleration and causes gear clash. It will go away when put in 4wd. If you remove the rear drive shaft and pull the tailshaft housing off the transfer case( it is held on by 4 bolts) you will have the snap ring pieces laying in it if it has broken. If it's broken you can replace it easily.

6. 86CrewcabK30

86CrewcabK30 Junior Member
    from iowa

Check out your CV joints first thing. They are the cheapest thing that would be making front end noise. They growl when they are dry. Some click when turning with the front end engaged when they are wore. Good luck!