1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end noise

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by docjones, Dec 6, 2010.

1. docjones

docjones Junior Member
    from WV

You guys must laugh at most of these questions especially when you see a title like "front end noise". :)

So anyway....paid 1000 bucks for a 1995 f250 with a dana 50 front axle. I already put Timbrens on it and replaced driver side tie rod. I locked hubs today and put in 4wd and when I turn either direction I hear clunking noise in front end. Take it out of 4wd, noise goes away. Somebody diagnose my problem, other than buying a Ford......:p. Is that U joints, ball joints, bad hubs, bearings?

I can fix a few things if I know what it is.....just point me there fellas!!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

u joints on the axle shaft by the tire
  3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Well the only way to tell, is to start checking and eliminating different components. Since it only does it in four wheel drive you would think it's in the front end, BUT don't bet on it. This past spring we had an F-450 that sounded like it had a bad bearing in the front end, it turned out to be a bad u-joint on the rear drive shaft. Sometimes it's hard to tell because of the way the noise carries through the drivetrain. Try the easy stuff first, lock in the hubs but don't engage the transfer case and see if it does it.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I had a girlfriend once with front end noise.
  5. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

yes they might look good on the out side but if there making noise odds are the u joints are bad .just got done changing mine on the F250 ,each side had bearings gone and dried out