1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end noise HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jvcski, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jvcski

jvcski Member

I have a funny noise coming from the front end of my truck I have had 2 mechanics look at it and they can not find anything wrong with the front end of the truck. When hitting bumps driving down the road it sounds like an extra knock somewhere in the front end. I have recently replaced the front sway bar links, But could they be bad, could the bushings be messed up. I really need help i can not figure this out and every time i hit a bump I get more pissed. :mad:
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Sound bad shock or u joint is loose. We replace 2 times on right side because shock is worn out fast it start rubbing metal to metal when hit bump it will squeak.
  3. BDB

BDB Senior Member

It is the two mounts on the axle that hold the sway bar. Sway bar bushings. Replaced mine...presto no more clunking! Some cut a window washer fluid bottle and put a piece of plastic in between the rubber and the bar to make them last longer.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It would help to know what truck and year it is? Just because it makes noises with bumps does not mean it's front end problems. It could be loose exhaust or spring mount or sway bar bushing. Since you replaced the links the stress on the bar has been transferred to the next weakest / loose part. What is the noise?
  5. jvcski

jvcski Member

The noise sounds like a thud after you hit a bump. the truck is a 2004 F-250 extended cab short bed.
  6. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have a 1995 F-450 that is the same way. I took it in the other day & the track bar bushing is bad. They put a new bushing in & no more noise. My alignment guy said that without going over all the pieces it would be a tough call because there is a lot of things that will contribute to making that noise. Their first thought was swaybar bushing but I don'y have a sway bar on this truck.
  7. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Definately Sway bar end links, and or the bushings on the axle for the sway bar..May also be the leaf spring bushings..I replaced leaf spring bushings, and sway bar end links and the noise is gone...I will be replacing the bushings on the axle for the sway bar also this summer....
  8. MustangFox302HO

MustangFox302HO Junior Member
    from Mass

04 leaf springs?? i think check the u bolts might be loose they can make a funky noise

KINNCO Senior Member

I thought it was a bushing but it ended up being one the of torsion bar links was broken in half and making the knock knock....knock noise.
    It's one or the other
  10. jvcski

jvcski Member

FIXED:) The problem has been solved it is the sway bar bushings I am really shocked how much they were worn down. NO MORE KLUNKING NOISES YAY!!! thank you all for your imput i really appriciate it. :)prsport
  11. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Rod end links will give you that noise too.
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The old worn out sway bar bushings strike again. At least it is a fairly new truck, easy to get them off.
  13. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

HA !! Gotta love the Fords. Replaced mine twice in 2 years. Then Ford decided to change the design, why? who knows. The best thing would be to install some that are greasable. Came up at loss for those too. They make for everything else but not my 02'.