1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end needs beefed up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by traviswalker007, Jan 7, 2008.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

I got a 03 silverado 3500 dump bed 4x4, with an ultra mount on the front, the plow frame is very low to the ground and i have a hard time pushing snow over curbs with out hitting, is this normal?? what do u recommend to beef the front end up with? i dont want to crank the torsion bars up as i just put new tires on and dont want another allignment?? any help

2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Timbren's they make the world much better. Also the only wat to go. You will only get about 3/4 - 1 inch of drop when raising the plow. Add taller tires too for even more clearance. Heres a link to the cheapest priced ones I can find. http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlinecat.htm?r=ds&p=sn-tr.spring

Hope this helps

3. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

Check with your local western dealer cause there are two different sub frames for that truck. We had the same problem with our 2002 GMC 3500. One will give you like 2 more inches of clearance. It doesn't sound like alot but it is. As for Timbren's, I personally don't think they help and honestly we had put them in our truck and went out one time and they were junk. They actully were smashed. So I would start by contacting your local western dealer and ask him.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lowrider

we just had a 2008 3500hd dulie cab chassis that had low pro tire's and sit to low with a 8'2" vee plow and we put a readylift ,key kit on the torsion bars they helped a lot the part # for yours is 663050 they cost about $250.00 would get about 2 1/2 inches's

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I installed the air bag over gas shock. Added 2" in height just from the install, and when pumped up to 90 psi front end doesnt sag a bit.
    Lets me push back over curbs with out dragging at all on the curbs. Also supports the front so I dont have to change ball joints every season.
    Seriously it helped way more than timbrens did, but costs alot more than timbrens. That being said with the the tiny 215 tires, the duallies need as much lft as they can get.
    Dino

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you crank it like 3 or 4 turns, you won't need an alignment.

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Tony,

Put in some Tiberons, I just put in a set today on my tuck after years of not having them and just dealing with a saggy front end.

They carry the plow nice!

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

9. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

are they hard to install???

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

nope, I got a post here as a do-it yourself guide. took me less than an hour from pulling truck in to pulling back out.

If you want to see how they work, drop me a line and you can check them out.

Here is the link: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=55958

-Phil-