1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end lowers when blade is lifted

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bassfearmee, Sep 14, 2006.

1. bassfearmee

bassfearmee Junior Member

Hey guys, I have a 95 Chevy 2500 with an older Fisher Speedcast. When I raise the blade the front of the truck lowers more that I think it should. I just had the tie rods and A arms replaced and sway bar bushings replaced as well. Would a new set of shocks relieve some of the apparent weight and if so what kind would you recommend?

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Do you have Timbrens? That is where I would start. They are the best thing to get rif og front end sag IMO.
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My guess is that with the age of the pickup truck the torsion bars a fatigues, and need adjusting to tighten them up. Better yet would be to replace them with the highest capacity available for that year. Sort of the get timbrens
  4. bassfearmee

bassfearmee Junior Member

thanks for the replies, I've already looked into timbrens and they don't make them for my year in 4X4, not sure if there isn't enough room under there or what...will check out the torsion bars
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try this site they list a set of timberns for your truck, I think.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

who ever told you that is smoking something. :jester:

and if you think you are going to change the t bars. go grab 1-2 cans of pb blaster lube. and start spraying:gunsfiring: the ends of the bars. where thay go to the arms and the bar keys . keep doing this every other day till you are going to change them. the rust lives in them bad. thay do freeze in there. :realmad:
  7. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

How much ballast are you running, specifically aft of the rear axle?

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

had this problem with my old ram 1500 i went on ebay bought a pair of springs froma 3500 dumptruck, and threw them on, it never sagged again, lol they were like 30 bux on ebay.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

also i know you guys swear by Timbren's but it seems like a crutch to me, its just a hunk of rubber that stops the truck from sagging/ bottoming out, not that i dont trust them, and dont think im knocking them, but it seems like a temporary fix to a permanent problem.

if the back of my truck was sagging i would go to a suspension shop and have them add a leaf or two and up the rear suspension payload, if my front was sagging, which it was i would pick up some bigger front springs. and up the suspension payload on the front, not throw some rubber under there and call it a day..
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No more like a permanent fix to a temporary problem. Aeon rubber springs only come in to play when there is a load on. Unlike adding leafs which permanently affect ride quality, the relationship between sprung/unsprung weight, and front/rear weight distribution. If you add leaves you really should look in to different rate front shocks to control the unsprung weight, plus add an air ride seat to protect your spine from the pounding.

I cann't understand why anyone would buy a 1/2 ton truck and add 3/4 or 1 ton springs. Ride quality goes to He*& and you still have undersized bearings, axles, axle tubes, frame, etc. Why not just buy a 3/4 ton from the git go?

just my opinion.
  11. Briarpatch Joe

Briarpatch Joe Junior Member

Shocks don't support the load springs do! If your springs are worn out replace them. Then add tembrens. Wouldn't have a truck without.