1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front End Loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Todd, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

We just recently came across what we feel is a good deal on a front end loader. I have not seen it yet, but from what I understand, it is a Trojan 2wd with a two yard bucket and gas engine.

We have about 30 accounts, including 3 good size apartment complexes and 4 large industrial type lots. (The rest are average to small lots and residentials).

Last year we hired a loader twice for a total of about 16 hours and I rented a bobcat twice. (To move snow piles around etc.)

Having our own would mean that we could offer loader service at a more attractive price to our customers, and also give us some other options with our larger lots (push box etc.)

Any thoughts or comments?

2. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:) if you have the work for it throughout the year then i would purchase your own, we used to rent right before a storm and was a pain, i purchased a new CAT skid in march, alot less headaches and is there when i need it. T

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Another option is to lease for the winter. Lots of contractor around here lease backhoes and run pushers.

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I think it depends on condition and age. The older Trojans are dead slow dinosaurs.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Being 2wd I don't think a pusher is such a good idea.....
    Should be ok for stacking though. You might be able to rig a plow mount on the bucket to run a straight blade on it too.

~Chuck

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That sounds pretty old.I would not get a gas one only becuase of the amount of use diesel would be a better option to look for.If your going to just use it for 30 hours and park it for the rest of the year this might be good for you.One other thing older machines break down more and parts might be hard to get especially when it's a snow emergency,another thing to think about.My uncle has and old 2wd michigen and it can't get out of its own way and very slow,his broke down he had to have a part made machined up for him and it took some time to fix.Buy a newer model and find more work for it in my opinion or lease one for the season.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm betting that with a gas engine it won't be articulated and not very manuverable. Something to consider...

8. DanG

DanG Senior Member

My Brother in law has an older Trojan Loader, gas straight 6, 4x4 with rear steer and a 2 yard bucket(I believe it is ).

And as John Allin says it's slow as heck, even in high range you can pretty much walk as fast as it will go. And unless you put chains on it it won't push for long distances.

So you can't drive it on the roads very far because it takes to long.

Dan

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Something else to think about, when you hired a loader, did it come with an operator? We have found that it costs a whole lot less to have someone OPERATING a loader versus someone driving one. The excavators that operate this equipment day in\day out will do a whole lot less damage than someone who gets in it for 20 hours a year. I can tell you quite a few stories about a friendly competitor who has this very problem.

10. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

also something to consider is getting from jobsite to jobsite, especially in the snowy and icey conditions