1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front End Loader for Driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AFM Contracting, Oct 30, 2006.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

I have been toying with the Idea of buying a front end loader for over a month now, but I cant decide if it will be worth it or not. Can I use a front end loader to do residential driveways? How does insurance work? Any imput is great.

Thanks

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

depends on the driveway. Rural driveways you can. We use to use a front end loader on a farm tractor.

But an articulating wheel loader would be akward.

You have to remember in a loader you have poor visibility, it's slow moving from site to site and it's costly.

Not to mention the fact if you have a full size loader you can be making 10x as much as you would in driveways doing commercial.

3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Wow, I guess I better stick my loader out on the street with a for sale sign, if I can see enough to get it there.

4. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

I dont mean an articulating loader, i mean a backhoe, JCB, Case, Cat.

If I decide to do commercial with it how do I go about getting subbed out, I have a truck to do residentials this year, so I would not be able to bid my own commercial properties this year.

And im not sure how you have bad visibility, its better than a truck IMO, its way up high, and the windows are big and almost 360degrees. plus there are more lights than on the average truck, so night time should be a breeze.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Heck, I don't see why not. A long time ago there was some guy from NY that was going to plow driveways with a Kenworth. Don't see why a loader wouldn't work.

Seriously, talk to some plow contractors and see if they will have work for you in a commercial setting, then buy or don't buy. Or find some work yourself and use it.

6. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Around here it seems a front end loader is preferred piece of equipment. Same company does a couple of banks, the mall and wal-mart. I have used front end loader/backhoe to do parking lots.

Visibility is as good if not better than a snow plow on a truck. With a loader you get plenty of use in fair weather as well.

7. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I use a 924 cat wheel loader, the one with the black bucket in my signature pic. that has way more visibility then any pickup I'v ever run. I do a bunch of residentials, and i like using the wheel loader, especially if the drive way has a 90 in it cause I can just articulate it right around and keep on going. The only thing I have to say about using a big loader, is be careful if you have to push it off the guys driveway into the yard. With the loader you can get plenty of back dragging down pressure also. Two swipes with my bucket and Im done. It takes me about 2 min. to do the average straight drive way and they get charged the minimum of 1/2 hour. I love it! Ok, now im gonna start drinking, and hope this rain turns to snow! :drinkup:

8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Where do you live in Ontario?

I could set you up with a few different companies possibly. It's a bit late for this year to sub out a dedicated piece of equipment, but there is always next year.