1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end lifting

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jamm999, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jamm999

jamm999 Junior Member

I picked up a western HTS and wanted to know what would be the best thing to raise up the front end, lifting spacer kit, bilstein 5100 shocks or just add timbrens ? I have been told the front should be raised so the receivers don't bottom out regularly

2. winginit

winginit Junior Member

spring lift, would be best, using heavy duty springs,custom bent ,go to a spring shop and tell then to beef if up for a plow.

3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Shocks don't raise a truck. You need heavier springs. Go to the dealer and get the heaviest coils they list.

4. jamm999

jamm999 Junior Member

actually the bilstein 5100 are height adjustable to raise your truck anywhere from 0 to 2 1/2 inches, I'm not sure if there are heavier springs for a 1500 available from the dealer

5. jhenderson9196

They are longer to accommodate up to 2 inches of lift. No shock actually lifts a truck. They control movement. They DO NOT support weight. Different engine and chassis combos' require different springs. Check with a competent counterman at the dealer.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

1. Shocks do not support weight, thus they cannot increase height alone.

2. Get a set of springs for a 2500 and throw them in. This is assuming you have a coil sprung, solid axle 1500.

7. jamm999

jamm999 Junior Member

2500 springs won't work in a 1500 since it's not a solid axle. and the bilstein 5100's are a recommended way of leveling the front end of a 1500, they have adjustable mount plates which make them able to raise the front end, they work similar to spacers between the spring mount and the strut. The bottom line is the raise the front end but really don't change the capacity other than putting preload on the front end similar top cranking up an adjuster on coil over shocks

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Add a signature with your equipment so we know what you're talking about. I think you've already made the decision.... go get the Bilsteins.

9. Crackersnow

Crackersnow Junior Member

10. jhenderson9196

If he doesn't understand what shocks do, he sure can't figure out the rest of the problem!

11. jamm999

jamm999 Junior Member

Henderson if you don't know how the bilstein shocks work look it up before you discount them ! look on auto anything or another site and you will see they are meant for leveling the front end but like I said they don't add any extra support like a timbren would

2012 Dodge ram 1500 big horn quad cab

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  12. jamm999

jamm999 Junior Member

13. jhenderson9196

Try again Homer. Those shocks have more TRAVEL to work in conjunction with lift kits. They DO NOT provide the lift. Better yet, ignor all the advice and buy them. Let us know how you make out. As if we don't already know.

14. jamm999

jamm999 Junior Member

WRONG again they are specifically listed as LEVELING shocks for the front end they have NOTHING to do with a lift kit. they LEVEL the front by having adjustable mounting plates at different heights to LEVEL the front of the truck. Try reading the information before you make another incorrect statement better yet leave the answers to someone else who knows what they are talking about since obviously YOU DON'T. I never said they would support the extra weight of the plow just that they would Raise and Level the front of the truck which is what they are designed to do. If you don't believe me go to RAMFORUMZ .com and look up leveling the front end of a 09-13 1500 you will see it is the preferred method over using spacers since it provides true travel not to mention adding extra travel in conjunction with a movable bottom mount would do what?? RAISE THE FRONT END !!!!!

15. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I just looked at the link you posted. I have to agree with most of the guys on the forum. Those shocks are used when you put a spacer kit on. They help to maintain the correct amount of travel when you put a spacer kit in. I don't think shocks are going to help you. You need stiffer suspension on the truck. Good luck

16. jamm999

jamm999 Junior Member

I definitively agree I need a stiffer suspension but they are used as an alternative to a spacer kit. they let you adjust the height from 0" to 2.8 " of front end lift adding a little stiffness but I'm sure not enough to compensate for the weight of the plow setup. The reason I mentioned lifting the front is because they sit kind of low in the first place making them susceptible to the receivers bottoming out on driveways and other things when the plow is off. So I almost need both to raise the front end to prevent that and to stiffen it to support the additional weight

17. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

IIRC, the Bilstein 5100 setup's for Ram 1500's are struts with "stronger springs" on them which are adjustable for ride height. You can adjust them to raise your front end an inch or two. You have to increase the spring rate which is on the strut in order to increase the ride height. Shocks or strut by themselves will not raise the height of a truck. It's the increased spring rate on the shock or in your case the strut that will raise the height of your truck.

Good luck, NYH1.

18. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

And after you put the Bilstein 5100 and set them to the ride height that you want, make sure you go and get a front end alignment right away.

NYH1.

19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Your wrong. No No need for a spacer kit with 5100s. Theyve been out for several years now very popular with fords

20. jhenderson9196

The original post said 5100 shocks. The 5100 strut has an adjustment on the strut body for ride hight. It doesn't appear to change the spring rate which means the plow will still bottom out the coils. I'm wrong for not realizing the truck had strut type suspension or that the OP didn't know the difference between shocks and struts.