1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front End Life on Newer S/D's

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BlueRam2500, Sep 17, 2007.

1. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Wondering what if anything you guys with '03 and newer SuperDuty's have had to do to your front ends since you plow with the trucks. If you had to replace front end parts such as ball joints, u-joints, and the like, would parts from an F550 bolt up to a 350? If you guys did replace parts, did you install greaseable parts? Does Ford warranty front end parts?

I know I have asked a lot of questions, but I ponder this as I get ready to look at/possibly purchase an '05 or newer SuperDuty and put my 8ft. Western on it. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to go off topic but why are you looking at Ford Sd's and not Dodge/Sterling ?
    Just asking, not looking to start a war.
  3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

some early 03 and 04 still had leaf springs front ends as older superdutys did . front end parts are junk anymore its not uncommon for truck with under 30k on them and need ball joints TRE ect . its just sad that can't find HD stuff anymore
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

on older superdutys 99-04 the front end is the same from F-250-550 minus brakes, powersteering, rotors and gear ratio.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would think that even if they are new / newer SuperDuty's they will be like past HD Ford's.
    Most people I have talked to that plow, say the same thing. The ball joints / brakes will last about 30K if you plow with the truck. About every 40K you will have to do tie rods and the pitman arm. Buy good parts and if you can grease them keep up on it. All brand trucks have weak spots, when you plow you just have to bite the bullet and do the repairs.
    Just think about the work the truck does plowing / salting / hauling. It's a wonder sometimes they take as much work as they do.
    Built Ford Tough!
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

See answers in red.
  7. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Not True on all trucks

I am running a 2006 F-350 that has had a plow since a week old & it is on rough jobsites all the time with no trouble on steering parts. I also pull my skid loader and excavator with the truck and no brake troubles either, the truck has 43000 miles. On the flip side when I order a truck that is just what I order, it is a regular cab with heavy suspension front and back. I think a lot of the trouble comes from extended wheelbase of these 4 doors & ext. cabs. IMO.
  8. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Hey guys thank you for the responses. Reason I am asking is that I am seriously considering getting into an '05-06 F350 and will be putting my Ultramount on the truck. I just did the front end parts on my Dodge at 66k and wouldn't have a problem putting the greaseable ones on the Ford as soon as I got it. Thanks again for the info.
  9. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i know ball joints has been an issue for some time on SD models i just got 4 new moogs now so time * fingers crossed *:rolleyes: