1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end leveling kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by raptorman03, Dec 14, 2005.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

i just ordered my leveling kit for the front today so i will have it tomorrow i cant wait to get that nose up in the air and still have a nice ride and no strain on the bars too.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What does this "KIT" consist of?

Most I've seen are simply re-indexed torsion bar keys. You can do the same thing with the adjustment bolts on the factory keys.

The really good kits (Cognito) come with new upper A-arms and allow for a fuller travel and better alignment.

3. raptorman03

Yes you can turn the nut and raise the truck. Now the new keys will not put all the pressure on the bars and it will still ride stock :salute:

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

This has been proven false.

Twisting the T-bars is like adding another leaf spring. Your adding spring rate by twisting the bar. This added spring rate then raises your ride height. A re-indexed T-bar key does NOTHING but start you out higher at 0 turns.

4 turns on stock keys = 0 turns on leveling kit keys. No difference.

Torsion bars aren't as progressive as a leaf spring....thats where the rubber snubber comes into play.

These leveling kits ARE good for those trucks who need MORE lift and have no more threads left to crank.

5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

:nod: Also good to note that some places ripping guy off by charging 2-$300 for these "kits." You can run down to your local Ford dealership and pick up the torsion keys for an F-150 and they are the same thing, $40.00. Do a little research for you truck, 1/2, 3/4 ton before buying them to make sure you get the right P#.

6. raptorman03

yea i got them from the dealer 40 bucks for both of them

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The other thing you have to watch out for is if you increase the hight too much you will run out of shock travel and can end up hyper-extending the shocks.