1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end issues

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by c&msnowplowing, Jan 11, 2011.

1. c&msnowplowing

c&msnowplowing Junior Member

Has anyone experienced front end issues with their trucks after installing the 8'6' plows? I currently have a 2003 Ram 2500 with the plow prep package. Third year for the plow....third rebuild on my front end to include ball joints, wheel bearings, and u-joints. I have replaced the parts with OEM parts from Dodge up until this last repair. I switched to heavy duty Moog suspension parts and have been told this will cure my problem. Now before we get into Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge...I know people who have had similar problems with all vehicle makes. I looked into purchasing a new truck this year and posed this question to every dealer (chevy, gmc, dodge,ford) and all said it is because they have cheapened the parts so much that I will have problems with any truck that I buy. Case in point....a co-worker just purchased a F-350 Super Duty 2 years ago......and has replaced his front wheel bearings with only 12000 miles ( Hiniker v-plow). Has anyone used aftermarket parts and had good results??
  2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I know guys who upgrade the front suspension and replace balljoints,tie rods,and idler arms with greaseable ones an grease them when needed
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

as a mechanic he!! yes thats vary true. factory stuff is junk.

vary simple case in point. why would the aftermarket make a live spindle conversion kit for the replacement of the unit bearings if the quality/design of the unit bearing was good to begin with ?

the reason i keep findin a old truck and fix it up for 5-7 grand and drive it for 10-15 more years over the plastic throw away junk these days. payup
  4. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

9.5 foot fisher extreme V on a one ton dually. Same issues. Rebuilt front end twice now, and needs it again.

Maybe try timbrens, that is likely what we will do.
  5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

what about airbags? Pump them up when the plow is on and down when its off
  6. sweetk30

firestone/bilstine air shocks for the front ends now of gm ifs trucks. wesport
  7. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Adding air bag/shocks or any other device will not fix the problem. You are still transferring the weight on to the tires IE ball joints, wheel bearings and ect. Greasable ball joints and steering components help but the way one operates the truck will determine accelerated wear. Turning the steering wheel when not in motion, low / under inflated tires increase wear on these components. Overloading the front suspension as well.
  8. sweetk30

all true. but also does he have ballest. if not all the weight will stay on the front end. he needs the weight to tip the back of the truck down to raise the front some.
  9. fx4plowin

fx4plowin Member

You deffinately went the correct route, i will not install anything on any customers, or my personel vehicles unless its moog. I have been working on vehicles for to long, and have done to many warranty jobs that I falt out refuse to do it, my 3 trucks are running moog, and bca/national hub assemblys, one truck has been running moog and national for 3 years now with no issues. Keep us imformed on how your experience with moog goes.
  10. c&msnowplowing

I do have ballast....900 pounds of sand/salt mixture cradled between the wheel wells. I am the only one who drives the truck and no abuse. I had a 92 Chevy half ton before this truck and just sold it to my buddy with 172k and the original front hubs and bearings. Thought by going 3/4 ton I would have a tougher truck! I will keep you posted on the Moog parts. So far so good. Sweet ck30....Horseheads? My daughter goes to Elmira College. She says not much snow yet....I hope you get some!
  11. sweetk30

yep not much at all. its a kind of funny area for storms.

over the years of weather watchin and reading the weather channel radar pics i have figured it out tho.

we like in the ( eye of the needle ) so i call it.

up near bath, ny the storms split around the beginnng of the big hill/mountion ranges. then thay go east past me in the middle. and down around owego, ny just before binghamton, ny thay close back together. then up near ithaca, ny that the top of the split area. also down in trout run, pa before willamsport, pa is the bottom of the split.

i only realy gear up for major weather if the storms come from direct south or north. if its west or east movement it splits right around us and we only get 1/2 of what thay say.

and dont want to be rude but got here phone # :laughing: i am a nice single yung man . :blush2:
  12. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I have the same truck as you. Avoid OEM at all costs and Moog parts have not been as good as in the past.
    Had to do my front end too. McQuay-Norris ball joints (made in USA) ($270/set), XRF drag link and tie rod kit ($400), Napa premium U-joints ($120). All are lifetime warranty parts. Haven't done wheel bearings yet but when I do it will be Timken wheel bearings, about $220 each. My $0.02.......
    It's a day project, 6-8 hours labor or do it yourself.
  13. sweetk30

i know this stuff goes more to the lifted guys. but some of this stuff can be used stock to realy beef up and tighten the stock stuff up.

14. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Have a Dodge. Grease the front end before every plow event. There is a company out of california that makes greasable lower ball joints, I think the name is carlise, not sure. they were Expensive, but I haven't had to replace ball joints in 3 yrs.
  15. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

16. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Imo it is the way the truck is used vs the quality of parts. I do agree being in the auto repair industry (gm dealer)that quality has diminished, however, we sell a lot more plow trucks then we service. Those that we do service, about 90% only come in for issues like the above and the trucks all have notable signs of abuse. My 04 has 100k on her and has only had gear box, inner tie rods and lower ball jts. All done only once. I plow, tow, daily drive, and some racing.

If a new truck is what your after, then find the heaviest duty front end that holds the plow best and also gives you the most comfort in the summer months. Good luck.
  17. c&msnowplowing

I disagree stacks. Nobody babies their truck more than I do. Just sold a 92 Chevy that looks like it came out of the showroom, and my Dodge is pampered more than the wife! Anyway...so far so good with the moog parts but I will update if problems come to light. Hey sweetck30....not a chance of gettin her number HAHA. Hope you all have a safe and profitable winter!
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you say gear box, do you mean steering gear?
  19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

20. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

There is great following on here of Timbrens and of course they are a great product. However with that said there are far too many folks being lead to believe that is the answer to most front end problems that you will have with a plow on a truck. That is simply NOT true . While Timbrens are a great invention to pick up an overload situation like a heavy plow on the front end of a truck and work wonderful to transfer the extra weight when you hit a big pothole or manage the extra weight of alot of snow stuck to the blade etc. They are NOT soposed to be the compleate suspension of your truck ???? But there are plenty of guys putting them on and then running a plow that is way to heavy for the springs and the moment they hit the switch to lift the plow the truck is instanly resting on the now fully compressed timbren [rubber dougnut] of course the truck rides like a buckboard as it now only has the 1" of travel or so that the rubber can compress after it is already compressed so you now basically have no suspension except that inch of travel???? Timbrens are really soposed to be to assist the suspension that has lots of travel to it AFTER it bottoms out from an overload situation so you STILL need the proper SPRINGS to hold the truck up correctly and the Timbrens as your backup incase you get into that situation.
    I tryed spacers that go above the standard springs on our last truck and that is NOT the answer either as it again compresses the springs and limits the overall travel of the suspension! I know of more than one person having problems with a truck that is sagging horribly in the front the moment they lift their plow and then they install Timbrens and of course it then holds the plow up but the truck is resting compleatly on the Timbrens and now the springs cant work correctly and when you strike a bad pothole or similar it will cause the springs to break!!! A mechanic friend of mine told me he had changed a half dozen front coils in the last few years of plow trucks and ALL of them had Timbrens installed on them???
    I run Timbrens and they work great for us but my truck does NOT rest of them the minute I lift my plow it sets on the SPRINGS and will only bear onto the Timbrens in extreame situations and in that case they then come into play and work flawlessly to help my then overstressed coil springs!
    Having the correct front springs is still the secret to the front end working correctly and having its normal travel and ride. Spacers; and Airbags; and Airshocks ;and even Timbrens;NONE Of them will take the place of having the correct front springs to start with !
    I guess another way of saying this is I had a friend that had a Boss plow a few years back with the full tilt edge and it kept floppin over all the time even after he added heavyer springs to it, so he put two CHAINS on it that he cut with 4" of slack so the most the plow could ever tilt was the 4" and it came up on TWO chains. His front springs were no where near, stiff enough to hold up the big plow ;So he took the springs out; and cut two pieces of ROCK MAPLE just the right lenght so the springs couldnt compress except a couple of inches; that just fit inside of them and put it all back togeather; and that held it up fine???? It then rode about 10% worse than fully compressed set of Timbrens. He claimed it "solved his problems" what do you think???
    I am all for Timbrens; if they are used correctly but to use them as the whole suspension of your truck is NOT the answer IMO.

Footnote: For what ever its worth the two magic numbers consirning front GVW's that will work every time are these
    For 1/2 Tons = 4200 lbs FGVW
    For 3/4 Tons= 5200 lbs FGVW................... those are both on HD suspensions and solves the plow weight problems.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011