1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end hum

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Dec 1, 2011.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

hey guys, over the weekend I replaced the fron DR. Side wheel bearing because I had a nice humming sound coming from that side. Changed it out and it was fine for a day, now its back. Its been like this for sometime now and I am stumped. I changed just about every moving part on the front end of my 04 sierra 2500 trying to get this problem to go away. On my way home tonight I was thinking that maybe my CVC axle is shot. The boots are all intack and have never been ripped or broke open or needed any replacing. Is it possible there is a u-joint bad in that thing that's causing it? The truck has 112,000 on it, so I guess its a possibility, but just want to hear what you guys think. Thanks in advanced.
  2. clc2007

clc2007 Member

How are the tires? Are they cuped at all?
  3. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

A u joint does make that wierd hum vibration.

Tires are a year old. 285/75R16 BFGs. They get rotated every oil change.

That was my thought, because I had a rear go bad and it made a similar sound, but I wouldn't of thought it would be the u joint inside the cvc.
  5. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

this isn't exactly related but, i had a clicking noise i thought was a cv shaft, truned out to be a u joint...

JRKRACE Senior Member

I just went through this, and after replacing BOTH wheel bearings, it turned out to be the tires. They were ever so slightly cupped....
  7. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

did you torque the hub to specs?? I am a mechanic and tried doing the "tight enough" method before having comebacks for wheel bearings making noise soon after replacement. spent big bucks on a 25-250 ft lb torque wrench and never had a problem since.

The hum had been going on before I changed the wheel bearing. But no I did not, I put my impact on it and tightened it down. Usually i'd just bring it away, but wanted to save a little cash before the snow flys.
  9. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

you said it was fine for a day, then came back. that leads me to believe that your new bearing fixed it, and not being torqued to specs, the new bearing went bad prematurely.

I can see where that may be the case, but I think I moved the cvc axle around a bit trying to line everything back up. I've had the cvc axle unbolted from the wheel bearing before thinking it was something to do with ball joints when I replaced them it didn't fix it it. That was the first time it had been apart. I really think its cvc related.
  11. You need to "load up" the bearing on either side to see if the noise goes away or changes pitch. What you are doing is putting weight on the bearing (loading it up) you do this by weaving back and forth. If you are turning right, the left side is loaded and if you are turning left, the right side is loaded. Whichever side is the loudest is the one you need to look at. Listen for the noise to change pitch. If the tires are slightly worn, try rotating them to see if the noise moves.

I know its coming from the drivers side. It changes pitch as I go thru some curves on a local road in my area. Its definatly the DR. side.
  13. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

By over torquing the axle nut you wiped out the new bearing. I'd bet on it. Also recommend a timkin bearing.

The bearing is a OEM bearing. My buddy and I did both of his lasy year and did everything the same we did mine, he's had no issues the last 2 years.