1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front end beef up?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chip_adkins, Feb 14, 2006.

1. chip_adkins

chip_adkins Junior Member

OK, I'm new to this forum but heres my situation... I got a 2001 F250 7.3L PSD supercab. My driveway (road) is 1.5 miles long and the elevation rise is about 1000ft through switchbacks and mostly chert composition (rock/dirt). My truck has only 65,000 miles and I recently replaced the right front ball joints, axle U-joint, and wheel bearing and I fear I will be tearing apart the left side this spring. I have manual lock hubs which are normally locked due to my back and forth driving on my driveway in 2WD I throw alot of chert climbing the grade. Winter driving with heavy studded tread (sometimes chains) just compounds the wear. I'm not MR Goodwrench but I assume constant 4WD has caused this early wear or is there a problem I'm not seeing? I would like to add a snowplow to the truck but don't want to add more weight. What (if anything) can I do to beef up the front end or do I need to change my driving habits?
    Sorry about the novel

Mountains of West "ByGod" Virginia

DOGHOUSE Member
    from Alaska

I Have A 94 F250 And What I Did Was Add 2 More Leaf Springs, Coil Over Shocks And Timbrens. Wish I Had Done All That Before My Front Axle Snapped Just Left Of The Pumpkin, But We All Learn. The Plow I'm Using Is The Blizzard 810. Kinda Heavy So Thats What I Did To Beef 'er Up.
  3. chip_adkins

chip_adkins Junior Member

Thanx Dog, I'm gonna check into that.