1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front end allignment

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What should i look for as far as a "quality job" goes for having this done. My front end is quite out of wack and has been for some time. With the last storm, i could really feel it with the plow on and the overcompensating hurt my arm after awhile since i had to turn the wheel a bit to do it. Also, the front end sometimes feels kinda "loose" i guess you could say, possibly because of this issue as well? Any insight on what is done in a front end alignment, how much it should cost, how long it takes for a place to do and it's worthwhileness would be very much appreciated. BTW, i am going to try to have it done before the big storm on wednesday.

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i 've got a 94 chevy same problem but sorry i have'nt fixed it yet so back to the top

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

first make sure evrything on your front end is tight,if something is worn they wont be able to align it right. then take it to any reputable tire shop, its all computerized so it not that hard anymore. as for time it should take about an hour or so unless you have a major problem.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

What kind of truck?
    You may have worn parts that need replaced.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

He has an old body style, I think it is a 98 Chevy K2500. I talked to him last night and suggested that his tie-rods or the ends are going bad. Also, have them check out the front sway bar blots and bushings, as they can lead to alot of slop in the wheel. And when it is in the air, have them check the balljoints as well. But I think you should be good with it just being the tie rods or the tie rod ends. He also said he is not getting any negative camber to the front wheels either, the tires are wearing evenly, which is a good sign

6. mcwlandscaping

its a 97...everything else is correct though.....

i think i may just wait to have this all done until i get some $$$$ lol, no snow=no new parts!

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Hey MCW, Im not trying to steer you clear of getting it done, just want you to be prepared for what you could hear when you do take it in, so it doesnt catch you by surprise.

8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

if its got the tie rod ends going bad i wouldn't wait to long as if they come apart while driving that could be very bad news. a friend of mine had that happen and it cuased him to loose control go across 4 lanes of traffic and got hit smashed both his ankles and broke his back he will walk with a cane for the rest of his life.and never can work again this happened when we were 22 or 23 nort much for disability when your that young i think he gets like 1800 a month

9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Need to make sure that nothing is wrong in the front end first. If you take it to the alignment shop and they put it up on the rack, then tell ya you need tie-rods, you still pay for the alignment. Then after you replace the tie-rods, it needs to go back up on the rack again. $$$$$

Rare.........but it happens. Make sure that they align the steering wheel as well for the quoted price. Sometimes you end up with the steering wheel being crocked but the truck being straight. Not sure how they do it these days with the airbags and all, but they might do it down at the pitman arm.

10. mcwlandscaping

how can you tell if the tie rods need replacing?? i have not called anywhere as of yet since it is too close to the storm to be able to get it done so im going to have to live with it for a little while. But, what do I look for and how do i tell if its too worn out?

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Mike

Take it down to Lional's in town, they are just before the Hudson bridge on a left side street. You can see it from 111. Tell them you want them to check it out and get a estimate. You can then decide who and how you going to fix it, many mechanics or back yard fixers can do the work and them send it to them to align it up.

I only heard good honest things about them.

12. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

if youe tie rods are going, grab a hold of it and give it a good yank, like youer trying to start as cable pull blower or mower. if it moves, get a new one, if you hurt ur arm your all set :)

the alignment can be done in under and hour at any reputable tire shop, as stated above, and will run you about $60-$70. if you go to get your alignment done first, just ask, "if it cant be aligned, will i have to pay?" cause once i went to get my jeep aligned and my sway bar links had blown, i paid then but got a coupon for a free alignment cause they couldnt do the job. after i put new links in they aligned me for the coupon, free.

look into lifetime alignments. most cars should have their front ends aligned at least yearly, and plows def after each winter. i paid $120 for the life of the car alignments. Ive already gotten my money back, then some. i went to century tire for that deal.

good luck

13. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

At $120 that sounds like a bargain for a plow truck. What is the restriction on the frequency?
    I am sure it is a good way for them to try to upsell, but still a good deal.

14. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

yeah im sure they try and get suv driving moms to buy it only to forget to get it done. extra $50 in thier pocket. Now that i think about it, i dont know if they will offer it to a plow driver. There was no fine print on the sign. so if they had stipulations on frquency or certain applications, im unaware of them. i paid, they aligned it and put my name in the computer. im also hanging onto that receipt for dear life, i dont trust computers.

i also lost out once. i did that deal, had it aligned once (the day i paid for it) but thens oon sold the truck. and its only good for that car. oh well, ive made up for it.

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

No doubt shop around to honest repair shops. I replaced all the steering parts on mine and the ball joints. I just needed the toe in set to align it. I had prices like $95 / $85 at the name brand places. My family friends tire shop did it for $35, their normal price. It tracks straight down the road never drifts,all for $35.