1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front driveshaft

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mulchmonkey2000, Mar 26, 2005.

1. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

anyone know how to remove the front driveshaft from a 95 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck? I looked it up in the book and all it says is to remove the flange bolts and slide the axle forward. I've done this when removing the rear driveshaft where it just slides into the trans. but the front doesn't seem to slide anywhere. I've even pryed on it with a crowbar w/ no luck. Can anyone help me? :help:
  2. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

the shaft is made of two pieces one slides inside the other, as you pry on it it should compress the shaft.
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I used to install those at the assy plant in the late 80s. There are about 8 small bolts that attach the drive shaft to the front axle.
    You will need to remove all of these, then there should be a large nut on the outside of the hub if my memory is correct, you remove the nut and then pull down on the inside shaft where all those small bolts were.
    The axle shaft should then go toward's the axle housing. When it clear's the outside hub the whole thing should drop. With that being said at the plant the frame was upside down and it was easy to get to the axle housing. Hope this helps.

Good Luck Mike
  4. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

thanks guys, Chevytruck85 is talking about the same kind i have....the only problem is that mine is frozen or something, b/c it won't compress and i have no idea how to get it out otherwise. :realmad: