1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front drive shaft

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 99 z71Silverado, Jun 16, 2006.

1. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

hey guys i have a 99 1500(new body). when the truck is in two wheel drive is the front drive shaft supposed to turn??? a mechanic by my house said it turns all the time and when you put it in 4wheel drive the front diff locks to send power to front wheels. personally i would think its not suppose to turn when its in two wheel.

what started all of this is I'm getting a weird clicking/squeaking sound from either the front u-joints or the t-case bearings.
    -----any input is appreciated----

2. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i would say you have full time 4wd
    or do you have locking hubs?
    the clicking is usually axel joints

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think they spin at all times, in 4wd and 2wd if I am not mistaken. I really doubt that you have full time 4wd or locking hubs for that matter, but I could be wrong.

4. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Your mechanic is correct. They spin all the time. A sliding sleeve in the front diff, operated by an actuator, locks them when in 4x4. Locking hubs are real old school havent been used in years.
    Clicking usually is the CV joints. Check for boot damage.

5. chevyplowboy

chevyplowboy Junior Member

drive shaft

I had the same problem with my drive shaft clunking noise i have a 98 1500 take the front drive shaft down and see if it compress down if not u need a new front drive shaft.

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This is correct. Most newer 4x4's are like this because people didn't want to get out of their truck to lock the hubs anymore. So they traded off fuel mileage and drivetrain wear for convenience.

Think of it like an old school 4x4 with the transfer case in 2wd but the front hubs manually locked... more or less.

7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

On my 98 it does not turn unless in 4 wheel. When I am doing oil changes and greasing it I can spin the shaft to get at the u joint grease fitting, you could not do that if it was locked to the front wheels.
    I want to say the acuator moves a fork that locks the pinion in and thus driving the front wheels. The 1/2 shafts turn all the time.

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I 2wd your front drive shaft(transfercase to front diff.) should not turn. Your axle shafts will turn all the time with front tires.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

'99-2001 Chevy trucks 1500 and 2500 have front driveshafts that turn. 4 wheel drive is engaged at the front diff.