1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front drive shaft

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Mar 3, 2006.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Has anyone ever removed their front drive shaft on the trucks with full time 4x4 to make it 2wd? I want to on my 79 Chevy k10 temporarily until I get a kit to convert it to part time 4x4...or at least until I can get the new u-joints on the front shaft itself replaced. I know I will have to drive with it in hi-loc while I have it like this.

Also, this isn't a daily driver, just to screw around on the weekends running errands and what not.

THanks again,
    Steve

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Shouldn't be a problem once the shaft is removed. As you know, any position other than the 'Lock' positions will result in a no-move situation.

The yokes on the axle and transfer case will just spin in the air.

3. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

Should I remove the "thingy" (can't remember what it's called) that connects the axle to the wheel itself? To would prevent the axles from turning and the differential...acting as if I had hubs and having them in the unlock position.

4. derekbroerse

You could, if you are so inclined to do the extra work now. You'll need to remove them anyways for the part-time kit.

It may help give an extra mpg...?

Obviously, put the dust cap back on after...

5. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I'm hoping for the extra milage....this thing is a real pic on gas....100mi to a 16gal tank...if i'm lucky.

Thanks again,
    Steve

6. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Many of the landscapers who hae those old full time trucks in my area pull the front drive shaft for summer use. We are in a big city so there is a lot of turning on paved roads. With the shafts out it is much less wear on the front end parts.

Adam

7. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

grat to hear that there are many people who do this.

Thanks
    Steve

8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Chage out the front hubs to manual locking , use Warn premium hubs. You will need to leave the truck in loc to move as posted before.
    I would use the manual hubs anyways when you do the conversion and it will still be able to leave the shaft in incase you need 4 wheel drive.

9. derekbroerse

Good plan, except:

a) the kits come with the manual hubs, so he'd end up with a duplicate set

b) without the rest of the kit installed, he's still spinning the entire driveline, so it would negate most of his gains