1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front Drive Shaft

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gssuperduty, Dec 31, 2003.

1. gssuperduty

gssuperduty Junior Member

Hello All
    Im hearing a cluncking noise somewhere in the front end and I think its comming from my front drive shaft, does'nt happen all the time, when it does it happens when the breaks are applied. Is there a grease fitting on the shaft somewhere. On the drive shaft it self there is a rubber boot with clamps on both ends. Does that need to be removed. Im hoping the slip joint just needs to be greased.

thanks for the help.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would really look at your front brakes if I were you. If it has the older pin( retainer ) type calipers they may need cleaned and brake grease applied. I do mine spring and fall. Might have other loose stuff too not on the brakes at all.The front axles on Fords are usually Danna (Small trucks) IFS -->28's 35's (Trucks) IFS->44's/44 HD's or straight 60's The drive shaft from the transfer case may have greasable U joints if they have been replaced. The axles shaft U-joints are too small to have grease fittings as a rule. The slip joint does have grease in it but you have to tear down that side of axle to get shaft out to clean and grease it. Put your truck in 4x4, lock hubs,have in park not running. Crawl under and see if you can move any of the shafts. Any slop is a bad sign, they will come apart under stress and take out the ears on the shaft on the front axle. If you plow with the truck and have automatic hubs, replace them with manual hubs. The automatic hubs just don't hold up!
  3. gssuperduty

gssuperduty Junior Member

Thanks for the Help Mickrig1