1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front drive shaft under power all the time

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Scott13136, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

I drove through 3'of snow for 9 miles last week. Afterword the 4wd would not disengage. Drove 5 miles or so to a restarea where I could shift between forward and revers and it seemed to release. 50 miles later while turning a corner from a stop the rear tires locked up and brought the truck to a stop. I shifted to neutral got out and looked things over, saw nothing leaking or droped to the pavement. Shifted to drive and continued down the street. There was a loud growl that could be heard in the cab but not out side the cab.

Got truck home and in the shop. Back half of rear drive shaft is out and the noise is still there, louder in the cab than out of it.

Grabed the rear driveshaft and turned it with transfer case in N, the noise seams to come from front end. Why is the fron drive shaft turning in N? Put it in 2HI and front shaft still turns.

I think I have a bad bearing in the front, but what is wrong with my t-case?
  2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

What year model truck is it?????
  3. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

02 chevy 2500hd 6.6 duramax, allison (sp?) trannyu, NVG 263 (i think) t-case