1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front drive shaft/u joint

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

My front u-joint at the diff has been making noise for some time now. Finally got a chance to really see what the deal is with it. The joints are only 1 yr old and are in great shape. For what ever reason, I can move the shaft up and down a bit. It only does this in the differential yoke, and no where else. The yoke has no slop or play, so it isnt differential related. I checked the bolt on straps and the bolts were tightened down rock solid. There is no side play just up and down. Almost like either those straps are worn or the face of the yoke where the ujoint cap rests is worn out. I pulled the shaft for now since it was giving me some pretty bad vibration. Just wanna get this figured out pretty quick so Im not leaving that big hole in the t-case where the shaft goes in. Any and all help is appreciated:waving:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can you see the cross moving back and forth in the caps, like the caps are too far apart from a worn yoke.....or are the caps themselves moving in the yoke?

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

The caps themselves are moving in the yoke.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And if you're sure the last U-joint was correct then the yoke is worn out and ready for replacement. Not too expensive though, usually around $60 or so depending on where you like to shop.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yes I am 100% sure the last u joint was correct. Guessing the 161K finally wore out the yoke. Probably just going to get a new one thru GM. Never have an issue getting a part there

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Seems like no one else has the part. It is 85 bucks from the dealer. Is there anything special I have to do when replacing the yoke?

7. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Was the vibration only in 4wd or both 2wd and 4wd ?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Drivetrain components such as a yoke I don't go to the dealer, I go to either the local drivetrain distributor here or if they're out of stock I go to these guys: DTS

The only part of the pinion change that is CRITICAL is getting the nut exactly back where it was before you disturbed it, because if you don't it greatly affects the pinion bearing pre-load. Even an 1/8 turn too far or too little can change the pre-load greatly. So, the trick is to place a reference mark on the end of the pinion shaft and a second one on the face of the nut perfectly in line with the first mark. Use a punch rather than a paint marker, more reliable and precise that way and there's no way you'll accidentally wash those off while cleaning the parts up prepping for reassembly. Once you have that it's all straight forward from there. You'll likely need a two jaw puller to remove the yoke as they can get glued on there rather well, and an impact gun for nut removal is very helpful. It's even ok to run the nut back on with it, just be sure to sneak up on you reference marks and then do the final turning buy hand so you don't go too far (it's critical not to do that!). A little thread locker on the nut and it's perfectly acceptable for reuse. Don't forget to pick up a fresh seal too. :drinkup:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's emanating from the loose yoke/U-joint it wouldn't matter in Tom's situation, because his truck runs an Autotrac T-case so the front D-shaft rotates regardless of whether it's in 2WD or 4WD.

10. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Forgot about the autotrack . The question was for me , chasing down a vibration in the '02 ,non autotrack. It's there at most speeds , a little hard to tell with our roads , even the interstate is a joke. Feels like a boken belt in a tire but can't find anything visually , or a bearing somewhere , no noise. Vibration seems to be under the floor as apossed to the steering wheel.