1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

front drive shaft removal ..help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Dec 18, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey guys , we have a truck with a broken front yoke... so we are trying to remove the front drive shaft and run in 2wd if we need to plow tonight , which i think we will

we removed the yoke/u joint from the diff

we removed the 4 bolts that hold the drive shaft to the t case

i have an online PDF ,repair manuel and it says to remove those 4 bolts and it should come off

but its still stuck on there, we are using pry bars and hammmers, with no luck

help ? please?

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

is this 96 Dodge 2500? Please post what truck you have problem. It will help everyone know what truck you talk about. How I know it dodge because need hunt your old thread to see if it was Ford or Dodge or Chevy. Thank

I have remove that driveshaft on front axle because bent from car accident. Now I know what you talk about., I just put pipe on it then go down then it come off. make sure those [​IMG] what you see that one you can pull driveshaft down it would pull u joint out yoke.

if you remove that u bolt on u joint and it still stuck. it possible it rust to it. What I do
    is heat on it then use hammer to whack then it would off.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

If its the style like above put a prybar between the large nut (pinion nut) and the u-joint and that usually works.. If its the 4 bolt flange style it should come off with a hammer, if not a chisel works good to split the two down the seam.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

heat it and beat it. don't mess up the good side.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You will need to pry the shaft together to give clearance for it to drop out.

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

You don't have your front hubs locked do you?

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey guys , a BFH did the trick