1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Front differential replacement / gear ratio?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by coreyod21, Dec 28, 2012.

1. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

On my first time out plowing ever I broke my front differential bracket which led my steering to lock up and my front u joint to smash my oil filter spilling oil everywhere. Anyways Im looking to remove one from a junk yard tomorrow but I wanted to know how can I tell which gear ratio is needed for my truck. I have a 1997 silverado k1500 with the 5.7 vortec motor. It seems fairly easy to remove and swap out but im concerned on getting the wrong gearing ratio. I believe I can tell the ratio by the the numbers in the glove box but I dont know what to look for. Any help please?
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

GU6=3.42 GT4=3.73 and GT5=4.10.
  3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

The numbers are called RPO codes and you can google for an RPO decoder where you feed them all in and see what they all mean. You can also go to compnine.com and feed in your VIN for a complete list of RPOs and their descriptions, it's less work than typing in all of the RPOs.